Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do about this kind of brother in law?

Posted by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
  • 2 Replies

Let me start by saying neither of us care for the other (my sisters hubby). They have been married for 5 years and it has been a constant battle with him and our family. He is controlling and just does not like people. He is socially retarded (not making fun of mentally challenged people at all). My first DD was one when they met and she has always been a great kid but he would say something smart about her if she did the smallest thing (like cant beleive little ms. perfect is acting that way) and this is before they had kids. He would make fun of the bows she wore in her hair, just anything he could find. He was jealous of my sisters relationship with my daughter. Well now they have two girls ages 3 and getting ready to be one and I have two girls 7 and almost 2 year old. My almost two year old is in a biting phase (has been doing since I quit breastfeeding several weeks ago, dont know if it is realted and she is getting two teeth in right now). Anyways she bit their one year old on the face the other day (he wasnt there) and my sister knows how stupid he is and she told him that my little one was hugging her and they fell over and her teeth went into her cheek. At my dads for Fathers day last night and he was holding their 1 year old and every time my little one got near her he would try to keep the baby away from her. And all she was doing was kissing her arm and rubbing her. If she is around their baby that is what she does the whole time rubs and kisses her. She loves her to death. And it just really pissed me off. He thinks my sister lied (which she did LOL) and I guess now he doesnt want them around each other. Im tired of him being like this to my kids. I know she shouldnt bite and I am working on it but kids are kids. Their 3 year old pushed her out of a pool the other day and she about cracked her head on the cement and then lied aboyt it but I didnt even tell my sister until now. Should I confront him? And am I wrong or does he have a right to act like this????

by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Asriel82
by on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:41 PM

any dude in my book that would act like this doesnt need to be in my life, i know its your sister but still, this negativity doesnt need to be in   your life, i would just cut them off for a little bit and let your sister know that this dude cant be part of of YOUR lifem understand when i say YOUR life, or YOUR kids, because of the way hes acting i would not put up with it and would be rid of him post haste if he treated me like that.

JTE11
by Silver Member on Jun. 17, 2013 at 3:42 PM

He is going to act how he wants and I doubt there is anything you can do to change it. The only thing you can truly control is whether you get upset by it (and I don't recommend wasting emotional energy on jerks), and how much contact you and your kids have with him. He sounds like an immature type of person so I'd basically just ignore him. I have a BIL who is so difficult to be around because he thinks he is the ultimate authority on every subject, and his ego is so huge he even went out and bought an actual chef's coat just so he could grill out on his own back deck at home. I just pretend like he isn't there and it works out fine. I know that being around annoying people is difficult but you can make the decision to let it go. He can't make a stir if no one is paying attention. It's probably best if you engage with him as little as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)