Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

terrible 2s already??? please help!

Posted by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 23 Replies
Hi ladies this is my first time posting in this page and I need your help!! My name is Lanny I am 25 and have a son who is 19 months old. He has always been such a good little kid but within the past couple of weeks he had just transformed. He refuses to eat all the time. He used to eat pretty much everything but now he is always refusing food. Every meal turns into a battle. He is nor losing any weight so I just started giving him some vitamins so he gets what he needs. And since a week ago he is having such a hard time sleeping. He tosses and turns all night llong. We cosleep and last night I just tried putting mattress on the floor in our room and surprisingly he fell asleep there but like around 5 he started crying and would cry even if we put him in our bed so he stayed awake until like 7 this morning. Every time i come home (i work full time so does daddy and he goes full time to daycare) he just get super clingy which i dont mind but it gets to the point where he complains of I'm carrying him or of I put him on the floor. Is this a stage? How long does it last? I need help!!
by on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this
They can start around 15 months and last till 4. Hate to say it but 3's are the worst, not 2's.
Strict consistant discipline keeps toddlers and preschoolers in check. You are in charge, they are not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momofmenagerie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
She is right, hin..... Three overshadow the twos by a long shot!

Quoting atlmom2:

They can start around 15 months and last till 4. Hate to say it but 3's are the worst, not 2's.

Strict consistant discipline keeps toddlers and preschoolers in check. You are in charge, they are not.

laa87
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 9:04 AM
His teacher at daycare mentioned that she believes he is teething which it had cross my mind but I don't see/feel anything... I just want my little easy boy to be back LOL
bj305
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I don't believe on terrible 2's my daughter was the same way with food you to try different foods tosee what he like keep trying
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
There is a 2 year molar. Teething can start months before a tooth breaks the surface too.

Quoting laa87:

His teacher at daycare mentioned that she believes he is teething which it had cross my mind but I don't see/feel anything... I just want my little easy boy to be back LOL
RUCRIOUS925
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Awh sorry to hear the little one is going thru some changes. I suggest you start implementing some routines. A regular bed time routine that includes bathtime with mommy and him time. Make eating time fun by adding colors and having him arrange his plate carrots, lettece, so forth. Sometimes kids go thru phase with food. See what he likes best and make variety of it. Peanut butter & Jelly sandwiches are good and healthy, chicken cutlets you can cut into shapes for him. Experiment, don't worry to much if you feel his health may be harmed speak to his doctor for other suggestions. Maybe Ensure or other type of drink with vitamins. Routines are great way to get them to settle down. Another bedtime trick can be a song or book read time before you tuck him in for the night. Good luck

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Try not to worry, it's a phase and probably he's having some teething pain that wakes him up, then he's fighting sleep. Maybe try a little tylenol. The clingyness is pretty common too, it will pass. Ask them at daycare if he's having any problems there or if he's playing and having fun until he see's you and then he only wants you!

zetajen
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

food should not be a battle. what I do is involve the kids in decisions. give him 2 acceptable options for dinner and let him choose. when it comes time to eat, fix his plate. He has to sit at the dinner table with everyone until you finish. he does not have to eat. if he does not eat, the plate stays out until he goes to sleep. if he wants a snack later, he can eat his dinner. the kid will not starve himself. he will eat when hungry. remember that milk can fill their tummies and make them not want to eat.

for sleep, he may have reached a new phase of awareness that makes sleep seem scary. fixing this issue is just a little trial and error. he seemed to like your idea of sleeping on the floor. great. He could have been upset at 5 because he was hungary. if he didn't eat well the night before, that would make sense. teeth could have something to do with it, but from what i read, teeth is blamed for a lot that it has nothing to do with.

clingy can be an insecurity. it is best to indulge that. if possible, find out the cause. has a new teacher started at daycare? a new kid? any changes at home? or it could be developmental. the same new awareness that could be causing sleep issues could be making him feel insecure and be clingy.

laa87
by Member on Jun. 18, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Thank you so much ladies... At daycare he seems fine and perfectly normal. The only thing that had changed is his appetite. He used to eat like a champ and now he only eats certain things or just a little bit of everything. But he eats everything at snack time. Same teachers and he is happy when I drop him off. Daddy picks him up and he always tells me he is happy and as soon as I get home he just starts complaining. Maybe he sees that I am mom and I sometimes let him get away with things more than daddy? I don't know. I am gonna try with a little advil before bed to see if that helps him sleep better. He has also been with a cough so I could prob understand the tossing and turning at night. He weights 30 lbs so I'm not really that concerned about losing weight but def want him to get what he needs a day so that's why i started him on vitamins.
LindaClement
by Linda on Jun. 18, 2013 at 2:35 PM

It is ordinary for kids around 18mo to have a period of disequillibrium, when brain development meets physical capacity, curiosity and the onset of desires outside of needs, while still lacking the ability to communicate clearly and easily, or understand most of our complicated, exception-filled social rules...

He is refusing food for two reasons:

1. someone made a big deal about the subject, so now its a power struggle

2. his appetite is naturally much lower than it was just a few months ago, and he CANNOT eat as much as he was

The cure for both of them is: provide food you are willing to have him eat that you know he has ever eaten, and leave off saying anything at all about it.

You need to take the stress out of the food. Hold your tongue.

The 'no pleasing him' issue is because he really doesn't know what he wants anymore than you do... it's just as frustrating for him as it is for you, too. Try to be patient, he will outgrow it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured