Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

This teen has pulled the last straw!!!

Posted by   + Show Post

I know it is long but please read all of it. Needing Advice. So my sister has a teenager and she is an absolute handful. She just turned 16 and they threw her a big birthday party to celebrate. For some reason she has gotten into this attitude where she thinks she is everything and isn't thankful for anything anyone gives/does for her. The other night, Cassie, (my sister), told Brooke (the 16 yr old teen, her daughter) that she wasn't allowed to leave the house to be with her boyfriend or be with him at all why she was out taking her other kids to friends' house and taking her littler one to spend time with Grandparents. Cassie came back and Brooke was not there. She called her and she answered and said she was at the park but not to come and get her because she was just with friends and not to worry about her. Cassie wasn't going to let that slide because she knew how caniving Brooke was and wasn't going to let her do something without checking up on the situations. Cassie pulled up to a parking spot on the side of the park where Brooke would not be able to hear the car or see it. She got out and went to go check things out and yes, Brooke was with her friends, but she had failed to mention that all of her friends' boyfriends were there as well as her, and they all were in the middle of a full on make-out session behind the community building. Cassie called all of the girls' mom's to come and get their daughters to leave and punish them, and sent all of the boys home as well. A bunch of cars pulled up as all of the moms filed out of their cars and walked over to where the action was happening. They took their daughters home and I am guessing they were all thoroughly punished. Cassie doesn't know what to do. Brooke is out of control and Cassie says that this can't happen again, and I wouldn't want it to either. She needs help on ways to punish her. She has already taken her car away and she can only go to things her parents will drive her to. Cassie feels like there needs to be a better punishment..so please help!!

by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 1:15 AM
Replies (41-49):
BaronSamedi
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Swiss Boarding school! 

tresproudmommy
by Member on Jun. 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I don't think punishing her is going to get the message through to her that what she did was wrong.  When I was her age my parents tried to keep me under lock and key and it only made me rebel more.  They took me everywhere I had to go but I would just sneak and leave there after they were gone.  I would also tell them I had to work at a certain time and when they dropped me off for work my BF would be waiting on the other side and I would leave with him. 

Instead of being so strict, I wish they would have sat me down and had a talk with me about things.  Talk to me about pregnancy and birth control and not just talking at me.  If they would have let me start dating, I seriously doubt if I would have been as boy crazy as I was.  It's like the more they tried to keep me away from it the more I ran to it.  When I left for college I was out of control.  There was no more restrictions and no mommy and daddy there to tell me what to do. 

In no way am I saying let her get off free because she lied about where she was going and you say she is disrespectful, but I wouldn't punish my teenager for doing what teenagers do. 

BannerElkHogans
by on Jun. 20, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I remember being grounded to my room for the whole summer for telling my Granny(who was raising me ) that I was almost an adult an that they would all be dead by the time I was 25so what's the use of laying down any punishments or systems (gag) .............wish i never spoke that into being

lazyd
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Cell phone is taken away - all electronics for that matter, so her daughter cant facebook, etc.  Also, Brooke goes wherever the mom goes.  If Cassie needs to take younger kids to things, than brooke goes along.  Brooke can not be trusted to be left alone.  Brooke needs to be grounded and can not leave the house or have anyone over.  Brooke will probably run away, but the cops need to be called every time, eventually after like the third call or something (varies in states) they take the kid to "jail".

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM
That girls life would be emptied of everything but the bare necessities of life until she got her act together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2lilmamas
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Take her cell phone and computer have her read some books or something keep her busy.
Karopie_99
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Not knowing the persons personality would make it hard to judge. So no help here. My kids are 12, 5 and 21 months old. The other not born yet. So I don't have that experience. But, it does seem the more you tell a teen to NOT do something, the more they want to do it. So maybe give a but of slack? I know the more I was told no the more I rebeled. Then when my mom basically gave me free rein to do what I wanted as long as it wasnt illegal, gonna get me tossed in jail or knocked up. As she says I became an angel! Because I wasn't defying her if I had permission
littleangie
by Member on Jun. 21, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I was working at that age and really did not have much time to get into trouble.  

bears308
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I know how you feel  my 171/2  year old has done the same thing     I still have know idea what to do with him

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN