Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

howlong is too long

Posted by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
  • 29 Replies

My boys age 17&12 go each summer to fl. To spend time with my in laws . From the start it has been an issue of how long. I say 2weeks husband says 3-4 and my in laws would like to keep them all summer. How long would you let your kids go? 

My in laws are great with the boys and listen to what we say goes.

by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM
4 moms liked this

The boys are old enough to decide. Let them decide. (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

mamalynnsmith
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The oldest maybe but not the 12 year old . 

sabrtooth1
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:21 PM
It really depends on how well they are supervised there, and what jobs and extra curricular lessons and activities they have. My kids were always far too busy to have taken more than a week. We went on a longer vacation once, when they were 13 and 16, and that was the whole family together.
mrsbarefootsoul
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I agree that they are old enough to decide how long they want to stay. As long as you guys are comfortable that they are taken care of and safe there, let them stay the whole summer if they want :) 

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

For their ages, I would probably let them decide.  At least the 17 year old.  I'm actually surprised that a 17 year old still wants to go in the first place.  I never would have at that age.  I personally think that 2-3 weeks is plenty of time.  It's not like you are divorced and they're spending time with their father or something.  If the grandparents want to see them more, then they can come to you too.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM
My friend used to send her boys to camp for a month. Once they were in hs they were counselors and went for 6 weeks and got paid!!! Her dd went for 2 weeks, then in 5th grade she started going for a month.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamalynnsmith
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM

My in laws keep a closer eye on them then we do the 12year old will be studing this summer he wants to try to test out of two class in the fall. (He will enter the 9th grade in the fall)Only problem my older son tried this too but because he did not study enough he wss not able to. In laws let him study when he wanted to instead of like at home a set tim each day

mamalynnsmith
by Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Yeah right. They come to get the boys and at thanksgiving and only stay 4 days they are retired and have all the time by the way we live in michigan 1050miles from our drive to theirs. 

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 23, 2013 at 2:21 PM

At 12 I went to camp for 8 weeks straight every summer... I say ask the boys.

jojo_star
by on Jun. 23, 2013 at 3:41 PM

As long as the kids and in laws wanted. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN