Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Question about sunscreen.

Posted by   + Show Post
When is the best age to put sunscreen on your baby. I know you're not supposed to put much on newborns!
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
spotsmom
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

They say after six months its OK. Before that, just use hats and long sleeves and pants in very light weight fabrics. After six months, make sure to use a barrier sunscreen instead of a chemical one, look for sunscreens that contain titanium dioxide.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:15 AM

6 months or later.  Why expose a baby???

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Gymboree has them, and they match the cute little outfits :) My baby is 4 months here.

Quoting Natalierae17:

Also it's hard to find sunglasses that will fit a 4 month old!

budgie1117
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Does coconut oil really work?? My kids and I are VERY fair skinned, so it makes me nervous to try new things. Where can you get it? How often do you need to reapply it? I'm really trying get our lives as chemical free as possible.

Quoting Randi02:

You're not supposed to put it on newborns because it's so toxic!
Getting a non toxic sunblock, or using coconut oil, means you can start using it right away.

I let my kids in the sun for 1/2 hour before I put it on, because they need exposure to the sunlight to make vitamin d. We use Green Beaver, or coconut oil.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM

It has a small amount of natural SPF protection. We are very fair skinned, too :)
I apply it quite often and no burns. We always end up quite brown (and I get freckly lol), but never red.

I buy it at a health food store. You want virgin, unrefined coconut oil. I use it for everything!

Quoting budgie1117:

Does coconut oil really work?? My kids and I are VERY fair skinned, so it makes me nervous to try new things. Where can you get it? How often do you need to reapply it? I'm really trying get our lives as chemical free as possible.

Quoting Randi02:

Getting a non toxic sunblock, or using coconut oil, means you can start using it right away.

I let my kids in the sun for 1/2 hour before I put it on, because they need exposure to the sunlight to make vitamin d. We use Green Beaver, or coconut oil.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:31 PM

It should say it on the bottle. 

whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Coconut oil blocks UV rays?  How about UVB?  Curious.  It effective against burning?  Are you fair?  

Thanks!

Quoting Randi02:

LindaClement
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM

We used shade, which we brought with us whenever we were out, until the kid was able to get away on its own... then we used sunscreen rarely, by mostly staying out of the sun during the hottest part of the day.

budgie1117
by on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Too cool! I'm always so skeptical about all natural things actually working. Isn't that a shame, that we've been fooled our whole lives into believing that chemicals are the best way to go? I hate the smell of coconut. Any suggestions on possible alternatives?

Quoting Randi02:

It has a small amount of natural SPF protection. We are very fair skinned, too :)
I apply it quite often and no burns. We always end up quite brown (and I get freckly lol), but never red.

I buy it at a health food store. You want virgin, unrefined coconut oil. I use it for everything!

Quoting budgie1117:

Quoting Randi02:

lovingmy4babies
by Member on Jun. 24, 2013 at 1:03 PM

My pedi always recommended sunscreen anytime they were going to be in the sun, SPF 50 or higher. I've never heard of not putting it on young babies, but then mine were born in December, and by the time it was warm enough to spend time outside, they were already around 4 months anyway...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN