Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

HELP getting baby into her crib

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:42 AM
  • 24 Replies

Hi everyone. I know this is probably not an uncommon question but I've gotten no good advice on it. My daughter is 9 months old. She has slept in my bed since she was about 5 months old because she would wake up and cry every time she was put in her crib. She's not one of those babies that will cry it out. She will cry and cry and cry until she vomits and gags so crying it out advice is not what I'm after. I would like her to be in her crib in four months because we have a new baby on the way and I think it would be best for everyone to have her in her own room by then. Thanks!

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DoubleK9
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM
Have you tried to lay on the floor next to her crib? Have you tried to get in her crib with her? Maybe try to let her play in her crib with extra soft toys and see if she falls asleep on her own.
Punchyobuns
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I tried laying right next to the crib. She cried for three hours. I can't get into the crib, I'm kind of heavy and pregnant lol. Sometimes it seems like she'll fall asleep in there while she's playing, but she always kind of suddenly realizes she's alone in there and has to get out. She's been an extraordinarily easy baby, but she is very particular about sleep. I have to be in the right spot, she has to be in the right spot, her dad has to be in the right spot, she has to be able to reach my pillow but she doesn't want to use it, just feel it. Maybe if I put the pillow in the crib....

Quoting DoubleK9:

Have you tried to lay on the floor next to her crib? Have you tried to get in her crib with her? Maybe try to let her play in her crib with extra soft toys and see if she falls asleep on her own.

sassygoddess
by Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Try putting the pillow case or something that smells like you in the crib with her.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Good luck....we had the family bed...made things a lot easier

Wyokrys
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried the noise making toys, like the hear beat ones or white noise? Maybe when it gets really quiet is  when she wakes up.

Punchyobuns
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I'm definitely not anti-family bed, but the issues I have are that my 9-month old is already the size of an average two year old and she is a squirmer, and I have a small double or full sized bed. Me and my big baby fit fine, but I'm not comfortable adding a newborn to my bed.

Quoting emmy526:

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 8:17 AM

then get a side bed for your bed for your newborn...they attach to a regular bed on the side

Quoting Punchyobuns:

I'm definitely not anti-family bed, but the issues I have are that my 9-month old is already the size of an average two year old and she is a squirmer, and I have a small double or full sized bed. Me and my big baby fit fine, but I'm not comfortable adding a newborn to my bed.

Quoting emmy526:

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM
Have you tried white noise. Or gentle rubbing the back or leg. And as she gets drowsy slowly stop and walk out. Or even light shushing and every few minutes back away till you finally get out the door.

I sooth crying but don't pick up. Or they expect it every time. I sooth by sound.and light.touching it's always worked for me.
Tteji
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Our daughter has been the same way.  She would definitely prefer to sleep with us rather than in her own crib.  I have found that the white noise helps a ton!  We rock in the chair, she has her bottle and then into the crib when she is just about a sleep.  Some nights are better than others and some nights she still cries alot. I think the key is to be consistent and to keep putting her in the same place each night.  They really do eventually "get it" but it can be painful for us while they are adjusting.  Good luck!

wyomom4
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

If there is room for it you might try putting the crib in your room for a couple of months. I also like the idea of white noise/music, rubbing her back, and a small pillow or something that smells like you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)