Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Harness Backpack/Carowinds/Airport (Edit to add picture of the backpack That I am thinking about.)

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
  • 24 Replies

I normally do not agree with them. I mean I see the benefits sometimes, but I always used to say that I would never use them. 

Well this weekend we are going to Carowinds for my younger brothers birthday. We do not have anyone else who can watch him while we are there, plus there are lots of things that he can do when we are there. We will have our stroller and our Ergo. But I know he will want to walk around too, which he always holds our hands when he does. But I am still a little nervous. Plus in a few months I will be flying with 2 stops with him by myself. I am debating on getting one of those backpacks, he would still hold my hand but it would be there for extra security. Any help? Or ideas?

He is 18 months old. He would still be holding my hand in it, but it would be there for extra security.

by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get a fun one and let him pick out which animal he wants to give piggy back rides to.   He may enjoy carrying his own goody bag.  How old is he?

brightonsmom12
by on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:08 PM

18 months :) and that sounds like an awesome idea!

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would get a fun one and let him pick out which animal he wants to give piggy back rides to.   He may enjoy carrying his own goody bag.  How old is he?

Marimaru
by Bronze Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM

I got my daughter one at that same age for roughly the same reason.  We were going on a family vacation to Mexico.  I got a backpack one, and put a few things in there for her.  It was a good place to put her sippy cup, lol.

I never ended up using the 'leash' part of the backpack (it clips off, if you want, for the one I bought).  It just never really came up in the airport.  We would walk with her in a less busy area so she could walk around with a little freedom (while we were just waiting for our flight), and during 'need to get there' times, she'd be carried, or in the stroller.  The only time I really tried to use the leash part, is when we were on a nice path in a park and she wanted to walk not holding my hand.  She had her backpack on, so I clipped the thing on and she flipped out.  I told her she had to hold my hand, or walk with the string on her backpack.  She had a meltdown and I ended up carrying her back, heh.

She's used the heck out of the backpack though.  Whenever we would travel, she'd wear it and have her sippy cup and some crayons or a couple of small toys in there.  And she plays with it a lot.  She had it on her oversized stuffed bear, most recently, because he had to go to school (obviously).

Punchyobuns
by New Member on Jun. 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Before I had kids I was all no kids on leashes. Now that my daughter is learning to walk and seems to want to run away, I'm all in favor of them. Whatever keeps her near me!

karenax
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 7:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I got my granddaughter a pink back pack harness. She loves to walk but she loves to take off and in a crowd it can become overwhelming. I'd rather her be safe and the comments don't bother me. My other daughter uses a harness also, she told a woman at the mall that made a rude comment "I'll gladly take off the harness if you'll be willing to keep an eye on him and be the one to chase after him while I shop. If not mind your own business!!".

Ali5683
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 10:47 AM

My son is a human, not a dog. Leashes belong on animals, not kids!

Tallmomma
by Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Anything that will help you keep your toddler close to you and safe is a good Momma's helper in my book. I know some object to a 'leash' for a child (I do too) but maybe 'leash' is not the right word - the backpack style unit is more of a 'tether' I think - like the astronauts use to stay connected to the 'mother ship' :) An effective parallel to fend off those who will share their negative opinions with you.
la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM
I don't use them, bump!
Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Yes I'd get and use it for sure. Extra security is a good thing.

boshs1andonly
by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I debated getting one for dd when we went to the airport a few months back (I think she was around 16 months). The first couple of times we traveled she was smaller so she stayed in a stroller. But this time I knew she'd want to walk, so I was thinking of getting one of those backpacks. I ended up not getting either, and it worked out because the gate was right there, so the setup and getting through security would have added more time than me carrying her. Personally I say do what's right for you. Since dd's learned to walk, she wants to walk everywhere. And she's still young, i can't always depend on her to follow instructions so if we're going somewhere busy, I can see why using something like that would be safer. I see a lot of kids still in strollers around dd's age, and what's the difference other than her being able to move rather than being stuck in a stroller the whole time?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured