Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

advice

Posted by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM
  • 6 Replies

Hey yall my name is Lorren. I have been married for almost 3 years and we have a beautiful daughter who will be 2 in October. My question would be that she is in love with her sassy (pacifier) and I would love for her not to have it when her birthday gets here. I've tried a few times on taking it away but my husband works nights so it's hard to stick with it when I'm trying to do house work, homework, cook etc. When she has to stay with someone will I'm at school she does good with not having it and will only ask them for it when she is tired. But when she is home or with me and my husband she thinks she has to have it. I can do better with not giving it to her when my husband is home but then he gives in and gives it to her. Does anyone have any advice on how to slowly wein her from it? Thanks in advance!!

by on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:10 AM

Sounds like you need to go cold turkey.  Good luck!

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

luvemboth
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Only give it to her at nap & bedtime. Once she's asleep, take it away (so she wakes up without it). After a week, only give it to her at bedtime...then not at all. Make sure they're all out of sight while she's awake and if/when she asks for it, give her a short, simple answer and direct her attention towards something else. The key is to never give in....that makes it soo much harder.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Reserve it for bedtime only.  Then within 2 weeks have a pacifier hunt to gather all the pacifiers to give to a newborn baby who needs them more than 3 yr old "Jenny". I just made up a name since you didnt give one.  She can transition into a different lovey for comfort.  Perhaps the pacifier fairy can leave a special toy she has been asking for that only children who dont need pacifiers can play / hold.

conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 12:14 AM
After 1 my boys only had them at bed time... by 18 *months* they did not have them at all. This suggestion is exactly what we did.

Quoting luvemboth:

Only give it to her at nap & bedtime. Once she's asleep, take it away (so she wakes up without it). After a week, only give it to her at bedtime...then not at all. Make sure they're all out of sight while she's awake and if/when she asks for it, give her a short, simple answer and direct her attention towards something else. The key is to never give in....that makes it soo much harder.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvemboth
by Silver Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 1:48 AM
I know you meant 18 months, but just reading 18 made me laugh! Lol!

Quoting conniejo75:

After 1 my boys only had them at bed time... by 18 they did not have them at all. This suggestion is exactly what we did.

Quoting luvemboth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2013 at 2:10 AM
Wow. Yes 18 months. Lol.

Quoting luvemboth:

I know you meant 18 months, but just reading 18 made me laugh! Lol!

Quoting conniejo75:

After 1 my boys only had them at bed time... by 18 they did not have them at all. This suggestion is exactly what we did.

Quoting luvemboth:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN