Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Daily Reminders that get ignored... advice?

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
  • 20 Replies

My sweet 4 1/2 year old has always been a runner. It's hard for him to walk indoors because he impulsively wants to run!!! Unfortunately, running is just not safe indoors as the corners are tight and there are pleanty of ways for him to get hurt. So, I remind him that we walk indoors just like at the grocery store, library, school, etc. Outdoors are for running if on the grass, or inside a gym, etc. But, for an entire year now, he runs EVERY DAY, and although he is walking more and more, he still sneaks in frequent runs and hurts himself.

It's not a very large living space so walking doesn't take too long. Any advice on how to encourage him to walk so that he will respect the house rules and avoid getting hurt? 

by on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 27, 2013 at 10:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Have him crawl instead of walking on 2 feet when he can not listen to house rules.  have other consequences for him that need to be followed when he does not follow house rules.  One warning and then consequence.   Lots of outdoor time for him to get this energy out as well.   See if you can find somewhere outside to set up an obstacle course for him to go through.  That will teach more awareness of surroundings as well as energy releasing.

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:55 AM

make him hop on one foot when you see him running?  walk on tip toes?  walk backwards?  how about a mini trampoline he can jump up and down on or run on to let out energy?  He can be directed towards that when he feels the urge to run

funhappymom
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:55 AM

My kids have a habit of running a lot in the house. So I make them walk several times around the house as punishment. It helps cause they hate it.

brittany208
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:54 AM

i imagine he ignores you bc he knows he can get away with it and not have any kind of consequence. my DS does the same thing with being too noisy. i shhh him all the time, but dont really punish bc its not really naughty. just annoying

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that adequate consequence for running in the house is being hurt- when he gets bruises on his shins enough, he'll learn to not run. I think this is a battle that you should not pursue.

TigerMomLove
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Thanks, yes I'm unbelievably active with him. We are constantly outdoors, at the park, at the festival, wherever!!! But, he just is a naturally fast paced person.... like me!!

Thanks for the tips. I've tried to give consequences like going back and walking again, but I'm probably giving up too soon.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have him crawl instead of walking on 2 feet when he can not listen to house rules.  have other consequences for him that need to be followed when he does not follow house rules.  One warning and then consequence.   Lots of outdoor time for him to get this energy out as well.   See if you can find somewhere outside to set up an obstacle course for him to go through.  That will teach more awareness of surroundings as well as energy releasing.

TigerMomLove
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Yes, exactly!! 

Quoting brittany208:

i imagine he ignores you bc he knows he can get away with it and not have any kind of consequence. my DS does the same thing with being too noisy. i shhh him all the time, but dont really punish bc its not really naughty. just annoying

TigerMomLove
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Thanks for the advice. I've tried having him go back and walk, time-outs, explaining, lalalalalalala I've tried it all but the bottom line is I probably have to be consistent. It's just not safe to ignore and when he gets hurt, he really gets hurt. 

brittany208
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM

going back and walking again isnt much of a punshment to kids.... at least that what ive noticed.

Quoting TigerMomLove:

Thanks, yes I'm unbelievably active with him. We are constantly outdoors, at the park, at the festival, wherever!!! But, he just is a naturally fast paced person.... like me!!

Thanks for the tips. I've tried to give consequences like going back and walking again, but I'm probably giving up too soon.

Quoting frndlyfn:

jeda1429
by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 10:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Catch him walking and give him a small reward, sticker chart, a penny , just something small each time he is following the rule . I bet it won't take long and he will be in the habit of walking indoors. Make sure he gets plenty of time to do active activities outdoors as well. Some kids have extra energy and need to have opportunities to use it in a constructive way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)