Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

9 Signs You're Dehydrated & What You Can Do About It

Posted by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 9 Replies

9 Signs You're Dehydrated & What You Can Do About It

by Emily Abbate 

drinking waterSummer has officially set in across the country. If you're anything like me, you know this because your hair has been tossed into some sort of mess OFF of your neck for the past week and sweating, yeah, it's pretty much constant. The other evening I was heading to a yoga class when I developed a headache that lasted me a full 48 hours. That's when it clicked. Summer. Sweating. Dehydration -- I had it. I needed a fix. 

Have you found yourself in a similar situation? Now that the warmer temperatures are in full swing, it's prime time for dehydration to kick in. Do yourself and your family a favor and take a look at the signs and symptoms of dehydration, as well as the at-home treatment options, here:

Dehydration can be caused by a number of things including fever, excessive diarrhea or vomiting, and burns and severe skin infections or diseases. In the summer, obviously, the biggest cause of dehydration is excess sweating, which causes an upped loss of fluids from the body. Now, on to symptoms:

• Inability to sweat
  • Low urine output
  • Feeling weak
  • Feeling dizzy
  • Dry mouth
  • Swollen tongue
  • Increased thirst
  • Fainting
  • Confusion

Now for someone like me, confusion in the summer (heck, every time of year) is a constant. That headache from the other morning, though? Not so much. So how do you treat dehydration? First up your fluid intake, slowly. Too much water too fast will make you dizzy. Next, make sure to get plenty of rest, get out of the sun, and if your symptoms include a headache or other pain -- opt for an acetaminophen like Tylenol, or ibuprofen like Advil. 

Have you ever been dehydrated? How do you and your family prevent dehydration in the summer months?

by on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jun. 28, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I drink so much water that this could never happen to me. lol!

nikabear
by Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 11:24 AM
My daughter and I are experiencing this now......
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I eat alot of melon which has water in it as well as lots of water and juices.  Lemonade home made is a good way to keep hydrated.   Right now i am eating "christmas"melon and it is delicious.  It will perk me right up faster than water.  I also have used gatorade/powerade during heat exhaustion.  I am ultra sensitive to the heat.

comptonkids
by Gold Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 6:23 PM
if your experiencing THOSE symptoms, you've actually been dehydrated for quite a while

I was hoping it was a listing for the more subtle, early symptoms
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2013 at 7:41 PM

I drink a low sugar gatorade if I'm out in the heat sweating.

Bmat
by Barb on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Yes, I was at a country western dance on a crowded dance floor and in the middle of a vigorous dance realized that I was confused and felt light-headed.  I drank water and ran cold water over my pulse points. We drink water.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jun. 29, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I drink a lot of water! Thanks .
JTE11
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Thanks so much for this post. I've had a lovely stomach bug today and just sat down in bed complaining to DH  about a massive headache and then read this. I am now resting with a bottle of water. Rehydration process in progress! :) Thank you!  I usually make sure DD has a cup of water at her disposal all day long and when we're outside I make her take 'water breaks' but I guess I forgot to do the same thing for myself today.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Tfs!

It's been unusually warm for our area- which I love, but thankfully we're already good about drinking water. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN