Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

is five years old too old for naps??

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 78 Replies
My daughter is five years old and the past week she has refused to take a nap. Will lay down but play or sing and never really tests or falls asleep. Am I expecting too much or being unrealistic for her to be napping?
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:33 PM

my kids did. They actually used to come home from 1st grade and fall asleep for 1 hour (age 6) then go to bed at 7pm . I think it depends on the child and how active they are.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM
3 moms liked this
Oldest napped occasionally around 5. Youngest quit around 2 1/2 to 3. Yes, I am sure she is more than ready. Most do give them up between 3 and 4. You are expecting too much at 5. That being said, nothing wrong with quiet time in her room for 30 min each day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brittany208
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:04 PM

you are lucky she has napped this long. my 4yo naps maybe once a week. many give it up well before then

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Depends but typically 5 yr olds do not need a nap.  My dd stopped napping at 2 yrs old.  We had an hour in afternoon where she had "quiet time" if she fell asleep fine, if not she had to do a quiet activity during that time.  Even schools for most part have stopped with nap time for preschoolers and kindergarteners.

SexyTeacher
by Gold Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:46 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think so. I am 42 and still like a nap! LOL

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Most kids are done napping by 5. We had quiet time instead. They had to read and then watch a movie while laying quietly.

SewingMamaLele
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:49 PM

My kids stopped napping around age 3, I would not expect a 5 year old to nap still.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:52 PM
My ds only napped a couple times a week at 2yr old and stopped all together at 3. My 1yr old naps 1-2 short naps a day. At 5 I think your expecting to much
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2justone
by Mommy2justtwo on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

My daughter takes them sometimes, but not everyday

kristine8333
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM
My 2 oldest never took naps at 5 yrs old. They stopped between 2 & 3 yrs old. My 2 yr old now takes naps-sometimes!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)