Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Potty Training Nightmare with Twins...

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
  • 15 Replies

I haven't been on Cafe Mom since I was pregnant! Hello moms out there.

I have a set of 3 year old twin boys. I should've gotten the ball rolling much sooner with potty training, but I've really been working at it the past 4 months.

There is a definite problem though... and one that other moms I know say they've never dealt with.

They poo on the floor. And I just don't understand why.

We talk about it... my son Murdoc has used the toiled for number two, yet if he can get away with it he'll poo on the floor. And my other son Archer... no matter how much I've worked with him, told him how easy it was, always says he "can't" and cannot anwser why he "can't".

But what I don't understand is why they want to do it on the ground, and I just don't know what to do. I've tried talking to them about it. We're in an apartment and about to move into a home, and they're very excited. I told them this morning they can't "poo poo" on the ground at the new house, and then about an hour later while I was cleaning the kitchen it happened. I've tried to rationalize, tried to punish, tried to offer rewards if they stop... nothing...

Any advice? And I remember I left this site when I was pregnant because there were quite a few harsh moms with nothing nice to say and I hope this has changed. Thank you so much!

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherguatmom
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

No advise but, I will send positive thoughts your way.  My twins will be 3 in August and neither of them are showing any interest in the potty.  

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Set them both on the potty a lot. Make them stay. Read stories to take their mind off it. Especially when they usually have to go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM
3 moms liked this

Sounds like they aren't ready. We don't force potty training. We give our children the tools, show them how to use them and then wait for them to make the decision to use them.

My DS was 2 1/2 and my DD was 3 1/2.

The more you push the harder it is going to be on everyone.

edenjw1208
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Thanks ladies.

What about the defecation on the floor though? It just seems so abnormal. frustrated

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

Set them both on the potty a lot. Make them stay. Read stories to take their mind off it. Especially when they usually have to go.

This is the Supernanny technique for kids that are old enough to be trained and are not.  As far as them doing it on the floor.  Talk to them and ask them why they did it.  Take them to the potty if they do that and show them where they are to go.  Anytime there is an accident do that. 

Come join me at The Duggars Debate, The Good, The Bad and the Ugly

DACIA79
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting edenjw1208:

Thanks ladies.

What about the defecation on the floor though? It just seems so abnormal. frustrated

I haven't been in your situation but If my boys and done that I would have made them clean it up maybe that could be enough of a lesson to make them stop.
Maliannie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I wouldnt say its abnormal. My son just turned three on the 17th. He pees in the potty no problem, but he'll poop on the floor given half a chance. Today is the first day he's successfully used the potty for both #1 AND #2 ( One uber happy mommy here!!) I think its because he can squat on the floor to push and thats not easy on the potty. No worries, the boys will catch on. Anytime you see them squat, rush them to the potty. Good luck!
Maliannie
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Also, whenever he did have an accident on the floor I would make him watch me put it in the toilet and then tell him " poop goes in the potty"
edenjw1208
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:38 PM

You're totally right. Even my husband told me to make the boys clean it up; it should gross them out enough.

As far as asking them why... they're intelligent kids, but they just sit there staring at you. They just won't answer, it's truly maddening. They'll just look at me. I don't think they even know why they do it!

I threw the poop in the toilet the other day and told them that's where it went, and told them it was easy. But you guys are right, I just have to sit them on the toilet. Murdoc has done it, but Archer cries and screams that he can't do it.

edenjw1208
by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 10:42 PM

Quoting Maliannie:

Also, whenever he did have an accident on the floor I would make him watch me put it in the toilet and then tell him " poop goes in the potty"

I'm afraid it's not an accident. I came out of my room today and Murdoc was holding himself peeing on the clothes hamper with a smile on his face.

They're like the sour patch kids. They'll do something terrible on purpose, and be the sweetest things afterwards.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)