Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Ballet for my son

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
  • 63 Replies

My husband and I want to sign our little boy (soon to be 4) up for dance. He's been begging to take dance lessons (he likes to watch dance mom's with me...that's where he learned about it). He likes the acrobatic moves, so I'm thinking tumbling for sure. But he also likes the lyrical/ballet dances too. My husband says ballet would be really good for him if he wants to do football/soccer in the future. So I'm think a ballet class too. I am really excited because I know he'll love it. Well I was talking to a co-worker and she flipped out. She was like you'd put a boy in ballet... She said I'd make him gay and I was feminizing him. She said she's all for boys doing dance but they do hip hop and tap only. WTF? Why? I don't think ballet with change my son's sexual orientation....he's only almost 4 but trust me he's into girls and a total flirt. He'll love being in a class surrounded by little girls to flirt with. And I don't think ballet will make him a sissy either. He's very strong willed, and if anything it will teach him discipline and sensitivity which are areas of weakness currently for him. But this co-worker was just indiginate that I would put my boy in a ballet class. Whatever...my kid my choice. But now I'm curious...what are your thoughts?? Would you let your son take ballet? 

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bookwormy
by Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM
2 moms liked this
Absolutely! If there is a pro company in your area you may be able to get him free classes when a bit older too because he's male.
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:20 AM

i think its great! my friend put her son in ballet at 4, she had to take him out tho, cuz even tho he loooved dancing, he just wouldn't participate..he wanted to dance his own way..lol

liels898
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Absolutely, I'd let him join as many classes as he wanted. I hate when people feel the need to slam their own warped opinions down on children, we're not born to think or act a certain way, so why stifle our creativity at such a young age. Let him have fun in his ballet classes and way to go for letting him be a kid! 

sallymoon
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:36 AM
4 moms liked this

I think your co-worker is an idiot.  Ignore her and pity her closed-mindedness.

Child Passenger Safety Technician

karenax
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:36 AM

If it is what he wants then go for it. Yes, there as some gays dancers but it was not brought on by ballet. As we've learned there are a few gay football players that have come out. Just make sure he doesn't have a dance teacher like Abby. He's going to love dance.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I love dance and approve of your encouragement. My husband said when he was in basic training that the strongest guy in the group was the ballet dancer.

BabyRuca
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 7:48 AM
A lot of people will have that response but I disagree with that... If I were you I would take him to a couple different types of dance classes, they'll usually let you guys sit in and watch a class before signing up for one. That would give your son a chance to really see what the class would be like, and meet the instructor as well. Then let him choose which class he wants to do after that. If ballet is what he likes the most, then that's awesome! To me, your kid just wants to dance & I encourage doing whatever you can to help him have a healthy, physically active hobby. :) Best of luck with this, just ignore the ignorant.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:19 AM

My dd took dance for 11 years.  Let him take it if he wants to.  If he continues the girls will love him, lol.  The studio was very large and had only 2 hs guys, one middle school boy and 1 grade school boy.  The girls flirted all the time.  The owner was a man and he was the dancer and he was married with kids and NOT gay.  He didn't dance until he was 20 and went up the ladder fast in the dance world.  He was over 50 when she started taking dance there.  They probably had 500 students at the studio. 

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

yes, i would....there were a few boys in my dd's ballet class.....imo, all it would do is broaden his horizons

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:41 AM

I would totally let him sign up for ballet! In fact, I plan to put my son in both dance and gymnastics when he's big enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)