Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bug bites & toddlers

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 5 Replies
My son has pretty severe reactions to mosquito bites, he swells and BADLY. I'm usually on top of making sure he has his spray applied before he goes outside but yesterday didn't think of it as hubby was taking him out to play. Today he has a few bites that are super swollen :( I'm not sure what I can do to treat them. They don't seem to bother him, they just look pretty heinous. Suggestions?
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Have you had him checked for allergies towards insect bites?  Sometimes benedryl can help by lowering the histamine reaction from the bite.  I dont know if the lotion is still on market or just the pills/liquid.

KimmyShaw
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Benadryl has some good bug bite medicine that stops the itch.

sarahs106
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:32 PM
I have not had him checked yet. He has an appointment coming up and will definetly being addressing it with his doctor. I was hoping to avoid benedryl because I was never able to take it and I'm afraid it might make him sick.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you had him checked for allergies towards insect bites?  Sometimes benedryl can help by lowering the histamine reaction from the bite.  I dont know if the lotion is still on market or just the pills/liquid.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM

If the lotion exists, it is topical so none is ingested but still has those antihistamine properties.  Calamine lotion may help as well if he is itching.  A pharmacy may be able to guide you for OTC treatment of insect bites.   I would worry more about the allergy he could possibly have.  My brother is very allergic to spider bites.  One time a bite made his leg swell 2-3 times the regular size.

Quoting sarahs106:

I have not had him checked yet. He has an appointment coming up and will definetly being addressing it with his doctor. I was hoping to avoid benedryl because I was never able to take it and I'm afraid it might make him sick.

Quoting frndlyfn:

sarahs106
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:57 PM
I am very concerned about a possible allergy as well, it seems like every time he gets bitten the swelling gets worse. He isn't rubbing or scratching them so I don't think they itch. My husband is running to the pharmacy for me to see if he can find something. I can't believe I forgot his bug spray!!!! I'm so mad at myself.

Quoting frndlyfn:

If the lotion exists, it is topical so none is ingested but still has those antihistamine properties.  Calamine lotion may help as well if he is itching.  A pharmacy may be able to guide you for OTC treatment of insect bites.   I would worry more about the allergy he could possibly have.  My brother is very allergic to spider bites.  One time a bite made his leg swell 2-3 times the regular size.

Quoting sarahs106:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)