Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too soon for toddler beds? Need advice!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi ladies! 

My twin boys will be 2 in August. DH is pushing to put them in toddler beds already, but I don't think they are mentally ready for it. I think we would be chasing them around their room , and they would be getting into stuff all night. We keep their door closed at night (with a baby monitor, they've always just slept better in pitch black, and are distracted if they can see us, or anything for that matter. LOL) Anyway IMO they are a little immature emotionally, and still don't quite understand directions yet. I'm kind of worried they would get hurt if they could get out of bed in the middle of the night. That and if they could get up and run around we would NEVER get them back to bed when they wake in the night. Urgh

On the other hand, physically, they are ready to switch. They're very tall and sturdy boys. Last night one of them almost flipped his crib from shaking it. Thankfully I was in there at the time. 

What would you ladies do?

TIA & ((hugs))

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
by Cecilia on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:43 PM

We had a toddler bed for our son by the time he was two....maybe even as early as 18 months. I really can't remember because that was over 6 years ago.

by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Once they are able to climb out of their crib they can sleep in a toddler bed/regular bed.

by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM

If he can almost tip the crib, you need to get them out of cribs ASAP.   Toddler beds are a great time to teach them listening skills for bed time and throughout the day.  You can still close the door for their room and all that.  You can also completely skip toddler beds and do twin size beds for the boys with bed rails you add on towards the head.

by Ruby Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:07 PM
Many 18 month olds are in toddler beds. Gate their room so they can't get out. Don't have stuff they can get into in their room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Can you get furniture straps to anchor the cribs to the wall? If you can't make it safe for them to be sleeping in cribs, maybe you do need to change to toddler beds. My DD is almost 2 1/2 and there is no way she'd stay in bed if the crib bars weren't keeping her in, but she's not a climber and hasn't tried to get out yet. I'd keep them in there as long as you can, but not if it isn't safe. Good luck. :)

by Katharine on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:15 PM
My first was switched at 2 and my 2nd at 19 months. They have both done well. Once they physically get too big for the crib, move them! But I'd skip the toddler beds and go straight to twins with bed rails. Good luck!
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:13 PM

When the climb out, move them, at least that is what I did for most of my boys. 

My oldest moved to one at 23 months because my FIL bought him a car bed without asking/telling and I had no place to put it. 

My 2nd moved at 17 months because he was climbing out. This was a challenge. 

My 3rd was almost 4 and that was at the suggestion of the ENT who wanted to know how often he was waking up at night. He cried when I took his crin down. 

My youngest was at 2 he was climbing out before I could leave the room. 

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM

my first went into a toddler bed not long before he turned 1. my second is 16months and there is noway she is ready, she would be running all over the house and trying to wake ds.

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:44 PM
If the one is almost flipping the crib or they're climbing out, It's time to make the switch.

You never know they may surprise you. DD (most stubborn out of all 4 and makes everything a fight) First night laid down and went right to sleep. Both me and DH were speechless. She was almost 2 at the time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)