Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

constantly hungry!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM
  • 8 Replies

okay, someone please shed some light on this one for me!

my kids are 7.5 and 4.5 they have their normal growth spurts once or twice a year and for about a week they will be really hungry and really sleepy. 

however

for the past 3 weeks they have been CONSTANTLY hungry! my oldest especially! literally, every 2 hours she is complaining she is hungry and if i tell her dinner is in an hour and she needs to wait she sulks and whines that she is just plain starving and cant wait. it is insane! 

to top it all off they both have celiac disease, so the cost of their food is outrageous! but we have no other choice, we HAVE to buy it. been all the fresh fruits, vegetables, snacks, meals, etc i dont know what to do! i look at the amount they are packing away and think that i would be extremely uncomfortable. But, for the record, unless it is very close to a meal time, i dont take away the option to eat, i just only let them pick from a healthy option. crackers, bananas, strawberries, celery sticks, carrots and ranch, etc. 

i think my 4 year old is following suit more than anything, although i have noticed that some of his shirts arent fitting right, so i know he is growing too. but it is my daughter i am more worried about! i didnt think that kids going on 8 went through spurts like this! i thought it pretty much slowed down after awhile? or is this just her body gearing up for puberty?

Proud mom of an ornery 4.5 year old boy, a very smart 7.5 year old girl! Married for 5.5, together for 8 years! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would talk to their doctor.  The eating could also be a sign of boredom or dehydration.  Have them drink 8oz of water while sitting down to see if that helps the hunger.  Every child has their own timeline for growth spurts so this could be that time for both children.

SamMom912
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I would wonder if they were thirtsy too.. A lot of thirst is misinterpreted for hunger. .

If they are very active in the summer... Maybe they are really hungry. Make sure you mix complex carbs with proteins to keep them filled up. . 

karamille
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids have a tendancy to bored-eat in the summer.  Plan some out of the house activities either in the back yard or going to a park somewhere and see if their hunger decreases.  If it does, boredom is probably factoring in to some extent.  If they are still hungry, then its a growth spurt.  On a side note, we have been GF on and off over the years and really don't find it that expensive.   I don't buy GF packaged foods.  I use whole foods that are unprocessed.  Much, much cheaper.  Throw a potato in the oven or microwave and top it with cheese, salsa, etc... and serve it with a salad for an easy lunch.  I keep cooked chicken breasts in the fridge.  I use them for all sorts of things.  Chicken nachos (tortilla chips, cheese, salsa and chicken under the broiler), chicken salad, chicken ceasar wraps (chicken, cheese, dressing wrapped in romaine leaves), and then any combination of a protein, veggies, and a startch (like rice, potato, corn, etc...)   Stay away from the GF processed foods and its really pretty reasonable price wise

Also, keep apples and oranges in the house.  When they say they are starving and its an hour until dinner, offer them an apple or orange.  If they turn it down, then they aren't really hungry.  If they were TRULY hunger, they would be happy to take the piece of fruit.  If they turn it down, they can wait until dinner

iamcafemom83
by Mariah on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Coukd it be that the 8 yr old is just out of school and bored eating? It seems like my 5 yr old is eating me out of house and home, but normally she would be at school.
What I do is make sure that their meals and snacks are protein plus complex carb when we have days like that. It seems to help:)
I know what that feels like though-- constantly in the kitchen trying to come up with something for them to eat several times a day! Makes me tired jist thinking about it.
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 10:17 PM

What is their heght-adjusted weight/BMI? There are online calculators if you don't know.  if they aren't overweight, then they need all the food they are eating.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM

sometimes when we THINK we are hungry, its really cuz were thirsty..maybe have them drink a glass of water...

Des10ed2b
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting alexis_06:

sometimes when we THINK we are hungry, its really cuz were thirsty..maybe have them drink a glass of water...

oh no, it is not a water issue. that is all we drink in our house. they go through several cups of ice-water a day and have water bottles all the time, so it is definitely not a water issue. 

Proud mom of an ornery 4.5 year old boy, a very smart 7.5 year old girl! Married for 5.5, together for 8 years! Fun loving, open-minded, eco-friendly, creative,friendly, different strokes work for different folks, lady! I stay at home, work at home, love it all!

Des10ed2b
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Karen_S:

What is their heght-adjusted weight/BMI? There are online calculators if you don't know.  if they aren't overweight, then they need all the food they are eating.

nope, they are definitely not overweight. they are very tall and lanky. now that she is getting older she is starting to be built a little more like me with thicker thighs and a bubble butt, but the rest of her is totally normal and probably more on the thin side. She does taekwondo twice a week and a sparring class once a week and is doing swimming lessons right now also. we also walk our dogs around the block and take lots of walks around the area. to the fabric store, the pharmacy, the park, etc. she is a very active kiddo. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)