Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Would you go?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM
  • 19 Replies

Poll

Question: If you didn't know your relatives, would you spend almost $1000 and 3 days of your vacation time to attend a family reunion in another state?

Options:

Yes, go meet your long lost relatives!

NO, stay home and ask them to send pictures

Save that money and vacation time to spend on somewhere more fun!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 29

View Results

I have been invited to a Family Reunion for my Dad's side of the family, that will be this October in Louisiana.  I am from California.  I have never been close to my Dad's family and my Dad passed away in 1996.  I haven't seen my Grandmother or Aunts and Uncles since.  We are all Facebook friends, but very rarely do they actually comment etc, it is more game invites or adding old pictures.  With just some basic checking, I think the trip will cost about $800 to $1000, between flights, rental car (the reunion will be 2 hours away from the airport), food and incidentals on the trip and a hotel room.  My son will miss 3-4 days of school, depending on what day we leave.  I would like to meet some of my relatives and get more family history, but at the same time, that is a lot of money to spend on a 5 day weekend trip. 

I was just wondering if other people would make the trip.  I have a 5 year old son that will be coming with me, that nobody on my Dad's side of the family (exept my 2 half brothers) have met.  Do you think it is worth the trip? 

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liels898
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 2:57 AM

My dad passed away in 96 as well. I didn't have any family connections growing up so I guess I'm not the best one to advise whether you should go or. It could be a great way to foster your child's sense of family and could be a fun trip with the added bonus of making that family connection stronger. On the other hand, I don't think it would be horrible not to go. 

awesomemommy2
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:01 AM
Why not make it a full week and explore the state. The major expense is air.
hargonagain
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:06 AM

I can't get a whole week off work or I would.  Three days will be the most I could do.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 3:08 AM

I would do it. Keep looking for prices though as they can go lower as it gets closer to the actual month or it can get more expensive.  I have traveled across the country 3 times to attend a family reunion that is held for my moms paternal line.  I am not close with anyone on moms side with the exception of her mom (my grandma)..  She paid for the tickets though and had us stay at her house so we could visit more and dd could see her cousins.

offrdngal
by Terri on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:08 AM

I know my relatives...I wouldn't walk across the street to attend a family reunion.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:33 AM
You haven't seen your grandmother since 96? Yep, I would go.
Why is it during school? That I don't get though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:57 AM

Yes, family is important. Go and strengthen your roots.

illogicalkat
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I would go, because family is very important to me (and my family is awesome!) If you posed this same question to my husband, though, he would give an emphatic No.

Is missing work and spending $1000 going to make things tight for you? If so, stay home with a clear conscience. If it's not a financial hardship, go and enjoy yourself. You may forge some very strong bonds.

The_Doodle
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:17 AM
I have a similar situation with my dad's side of the family. When my parents got divorced 19 years ago, attempts to see us stopped. We didn't see 99& of them until my dad died this past April. I wouldn't spend money to go to something like that.
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Follow what's right for you.  It would be a fun trip for your so-esp if there's things youcan find to do during the reunion's down time.  The decision is ultimately up to you-I'm sure the rest of the family will understand either way. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)