Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aspirin Recall: What You Need to Know

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM
  • 5 Replies

Aspirin Recall: What You Need to Know

by Lindsay Mannering

baby aspirinAttention, attention: A medicine mix-up has prompted a voluntary aspirin recall. A pharmacist discovered that a Rugby Enteric Coated Aspirin bottle did not contain the low-dose aspirin it was supposed to, but rather was filled with 500-mg acetaminophen pills! Patients can overdose on acetaminophen or have bad reactions if it's taken with other medications. Some people are susceptible to allergic reactions.

Here's what you need to know:

• The recall includes over 16,400 bottles of baby aspirin labeled to contain 81-mg pills.
  • So far, only the one bottle that spurred the recall has been found to contain anything other than the 81-mg pills.
  • The bottles that are being recalled contain the labels NDC 0536-3086-41 and UPC 3 0536-3086-41 9.
  • The recalled bottles each have an expiration date of January 2015
  • The aspirin is mainly marketed to adults who use it to regulate blood pressure. 
  • Overdosing on acetaminophen can cause liver failure or death.
  • Contact Advanced Pharmaceuticals at 631-981-4600 or mail@advancedpharmaceuticals.com for a refund.

Do you use the recalled brand?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 3, 2013 at 9:00 AM

No I don't. Thank you for the alert.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I've never heard of the brand.

TempestRayne
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM
Never heard of it, but this post certainly got my hear pounding- my two year old is on a daily aspirin dose to help prevent bloodclots from forming in the shunt in his heart.
whoodathunk
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Thanks for the heads up!  I would think it would be easy to identify the difference in pills but am not sure I'd notice if I wasn't expecting.

Mom2jngnc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I have never heard of the brand either. 

I know that I notice if meds aren't what I am used to them being. My DH and I have a couple of RX's that are generic, and the shape/color etc change depending on who the company is that supplies our pharmacy. We get a sticker that tells us it may have changed shape/color, but I still have to do a double take. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured