Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Are reward charts a bad thing?

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 53 Replies
1 mom liked this

I used charts to reward my girls when they were little and to encourage good behavior. With my method, they earned a neon smiley face sticker every day that they did what they were supposed to, and if they did it all week, they got a glittery smiley face. Once they had 4 glittery smiley faces, they could pick out a reward at the bookstore.

Yes, it's really bribery, I know, but is that such a bad thing?

Do you use reward charts for your kids? Why or why not?

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommyzlovez
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I say if it works for your kdis then its a good thing.

andrea0314
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
I did this to when my kids was a lil.younger and it worked. They loved it they did what they was supposed.to.do and they looked forward.to the stars cuz they knew once they filled.up a.week.of stars they got something special. It even.helped with they're behavior. I don't see nothing wrong with it I think its a good thing
steffiecox
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:22 AM
I say if it works for you and your kids then go for it!
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM
I don't consider it bribary if it is not out of hand. If it is small rewards. Not like $10 for making a bed or washing a dish. Stickers for little kids and once they get 10 they get another small reward.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boshs1andonly
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:41 AM
Quoting atlmom2:

I don't consider it bribary if it is not out of hand. If it is small rewards. Not like $10 for making a bed or washing a dish. Stickers for little kids and once they get 10 they get another small reward.

I agree with this. As long as they aren't constantly getting huge rewards for little things, it's fine.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:43 AM
Also bigger kids need to do things without having to be told to get any type rewards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Retrokitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

I'm on the fence for reward charts. I believe children should be allowed bad days as we as adults are allowed to have bad days. I also think it depends on the child. I want my child to do the right thing because they know its the right thing not because they get something out of it. I do think they have their place though. It really depends on the child.
onethentwins
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Whenever I'm asked for parental advice for new moms, I always answer "never underestimate what a 5 year old will do for a sticker."

It's not bribery, it's an award. That is  how the world works in the adult world too. We do work, we get paid. 

reward charts are a great way to break bad habits and enforce good behaviour. Just be careful not to over use them, or they'll lose their power. And, never remove a sticker that's already been earned for bad behaviour.

spotsmom
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes. Dissenters call it bribary---child psychologists call it positve reinforcement. And honestly, it's not all about the reward for most kids. It gives them a goal to work toward, and a sense of accomplishment when they acheive it. The reward doesn't have to be material; it can be five or ten extra minutes at story time, or a sleepover with friends, or a visit to the planetarium (or children's museum). Studies have shown this kind of disciplinary tactic is more effective than negative reinforcement. 

Samantha.Stetka
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I think its a great idea. It makes them look forward to  something and it also lets them know you appreciate the work that they did. I don't see anything wrong with it if you have to have multiple stickers to get the award. I will do this when my son is old enough. ( He is only 7 weeks lol )

I am a loud laughing, crazy cuddling, million kisses, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, teen mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN