Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Child talking to himself.

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM
  • 5 Replies

Do you have a LO who talks to him/herself?

My 2yo son has started talking and sometimes even answering himself. Sometimes it's when he's in trouble, and he's crying, I will hear him say, "Dont cry buddy, it's ok". Which breaks my heart, and I in turn ask him if he's ok.

The most recent was a few seconds ago. This is all to himself, "Oh, can you help me?" "Ok, I'll help you" *groan* "Oh, thank you!" "You're welcome." He had been laying across a chair and I guess he lost his balance for all of a second? And helped himself gain his balance back?

My SO thinks it's cute, I do too but at the same time it bothers me that he thinks we aren't there for him, or thinks we dont pay attention to him.

And yes he does crazy things all the time, like tries to crawl under beds and gets his head stuck. Or tries to crawl into the baby's basinette. Or even the baby's jumperoo. If he needs help Im always there to help him, so it's not like he's had some traumatizing event where he was stuck for an extended period of time.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
EntrepeneurMom
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM
Sounds normal to me, perhaps even above average speech for a 2yo :)
chicklopez
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:14 PM

which is funny because I was so worried about his speech and hearing. he's the same LO that I made a different post about. At his 2 yo dr appt he didnt know half of his body parts, and he wouldnt put together more then a 3 word sentence.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes this is typical for the toddler/preschooler age.  They are mimicking conversations you may have had with him or he has heard between 2 other people.   If you are really concerned talk to his doctor about it.  DD is 7 and still does it at school sometimes.  Her therapists say it is ok as long as it does not distrupt anyone else.  It is great to hear him using supportive, loving language rather than "You idiot, get up on your own, I wont help you "

chicklopez
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:49 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Yes this is typical for the toddler/preschooler age.  They are mimicking conversations you may have had with him or he has heard between 2 other people.   If you are really concerned talk to his doctor about it.  DD is 7 and still does it at school sometimes.  Her therapists say it is ok as long as it does not distrupt anyone else.  It is great to hear him using supportive, loving language rather than "You idiot, get up on your own, I wont help you "

That is a different perspective I didnt think of. You're right it's better that he isnt tearing himself down.

jessica1078
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
I love hearing my 3 year old talking- a few minutes ago:
(Jake bumped his hand on the couch)
ouch!, aww I kiss it is that better? yeah that's better.
it's soo adorable
He just started doing this so I think your little guy is ahead of him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN