Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

He still poops his pants! Help!

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM
  • 39 Replies
My ds turned 4 in April. He pees in the potty and rarely has accidents. But he will not poop in the potty! He goes off into another room and poops in his pants. He comes out and announces what he did. We have a sticker chart where he gets a sticker for peeing in the potty and 2 for pooping. What can i do to get him to stop pooping his pants?? Its gross to clean that up.
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bellawomen
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:30 PM

What do you do when he does poop his pants?  At 4, I would not be cleaning it up.  He would.

Is he scared to poop in the toilet?  Does he do it no matter whose house he is at?  What about in public?

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Keep setting him on the potty and read to him until he uses the potty. Don't let him go in another room. Catch him and make him sit. Supernanny does it all the time, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM
I tell him its gross and clean him up. lol. Out places i put a pull up on him. =\ I don't want him to have accidents at the store or a friend's house or something. I still take him to the potty to go when we are not home.

Quoting bellawomen:

What do you do when he does poop his pants?  At 4, I would not be cleaning it up.  He would.

Is he scared to poop in the toilet?  Does he do it no matter whose house he is at?  What about in public?

ZakkarysMom
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM
He poops at different times in the day. lol. So i don't really know until after it happens. Like earlier he was playing in his room and comes out and says "i pooped!"

Quoting atlmom2:

Keep setting him on the potty and read to him until he uses the potty. Don't let him go in another room. Catch him and make him sit. Supernanny does it all the time, lol.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Then you have to do it often for 10 min at a time.

Quoting ZakkarysMom:

He poops at different times in the day. lol. So i don't really know until after it happens. Like earlier he was playing in his room and comes out and says "i pooped!"

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allornone
by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 10:56 PM

You need to let him clean it up. Are you going to go to school and do it next year? 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 3, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Have you asked him why he does it?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Dqnana
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Good Night Nurse!  Is he "barely" 4 or is he going on 5?  He must have favorite toys, games, shows, activities, etc.  He starts losing priviledges one at a time until he uses the toilet like he is meant to!  AND ... when he messes himself, he must clean HIMSELF, and not have mommy washing his little fanny for him.  Don'r get angry. Don't make a big deal about it. Not a lot of conversation.  Just say,"You need to clean up, now." And then let him know that you have added another item to the list of things he no longer has the pleasure of playing with. Unless there are issues you have not told us about, he is old enough and smart enough to bargain and get the message quickly.  For every success, he gets something back.  

Karopie_99
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM
I am not much help, I've never had this issue with my kids. But if you plan to sign him up for preschool or kindergarten he needs to go in the potty! A school won't allow that (unless it was a medical issue) maybe let him know if he wants to start school, make new friends, learn knew things, etc...he has to be a big boy and use the potty all the time. At 4, he should understand. If he was 2, I could see it being an issue
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this

this, and tell him from now on, when he poops his pants, you are no longer his audience...tell him when he poops, he is now expected to go into the bathroom and clean himself up, after all, when he goes to school, his teacher will tell him the same thing.  Let him know he is no longer to come tell you he's pooped his pants, it's now HIS job to clean himself up when he does it.  If you find him with poopy pants, then consequences should be implemented... those consequences should also be discussed with him before hand, so he knows what to expect...if, after a time, he has managed to clean himself up, and make at least an effort to be in the bathroom to poop, then praise and encourgaement and a small reward for trying are in order.   Lastly, set a goal for him to earn, while transitioning to the toilet, earnable only after a set amount of time using the potty successfully has passed.  

Quoting Dqnana:

Good Night Nurse!  Is he "barely" 4 or is he going on 5?  He must have favorite toys, games, shows, activities, etc.  He starts losing priviledges one at a time until he uses the toilet like he is meant to!  AND ... when he messes himself, he must clean HIMSELF, and not have mommy washing his little fanny for him.  Don'r get angry. Don't make a big deal about it. Not a lot of conversation.  Just say,"You need to clean up, now." And then let him know that you have added another item to the list of things he no longer has the pleasure of playing with. Unless there are issues you have not told us about, he is old enough and smart enough to bargain and get the message quickly.  For every success, he gets something back.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN