Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Is my child immature?

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM
  • 447 Replies
15 moms liked this

My daughter is 11 1/4 years old. She is an only child. She still plays with dolls, loves princesses, plays with Barbies, etc. I am still not an embarrassment like most parents start to be at this age. She loves to snuggle, get kisses and hold hands when we're out.
Her friends are into boy bands, typical classroom drama, hair styles, clothing labels (although my dd does like the story Justice but she's more excited about the shelves of stuff than the clothes).
When her and friends get together the friends want to talk music and boys and she wants them to play Barbie.
Please know that I love that I'm still cool enough to kiss and snuggle with in the mall… my concern is with her overall maturity level. She is smart and gets A's and B's in school. Anyone??

WOW - I never thought this post would have taken off like this.  Thanks to everyone for putting my mind at ease.  I am an only child and I know I played with dolls late - but I always considered myself a late bloomer.    I guess I was more normal than I thought.  LOL  Thanks again to all the positives.  I'm working my way through all of the responses! :)

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cozie_Sisika458
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:17 AM
38 moms liked this
I stopped playing with Barbies around 11, but that's because I had a younger sister. You should be glad she is not all not crazy and still wants to be seen with you in public. Nothing wrong with that. She will grow out of it so quick and you will want these days back so I would just enjoy them.

Shit little girls where I live like at 7 and 8 are beating the Crap out of each other over boys it's so ridiculous.
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this
You don't want her to be boy crazy. Mine stopped at about 5th grade or so. I was much later than that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
conniejo75
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:59 AM
33 moms liked this
Every child is different. I would much rather have a late bloomer!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idunno1234
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM
31 moms liked this

Your daughter sounds like a delight.  Although by 11 most girls go underground with their Barbie playing and are loath to admit to to their friends, I think its more common than little girls this age want to admit.

My youngest just turned 12.  I have already seen a difference.  I consider this year- between 12 and 13- to be the year where they go from being little girls to.....not.  It makes me sad because she has already started to pull away but it wasn't too long ago that I was still her favorite companion and although I would get tired of her constant neediness, I knew it wouldn't last.

Boy, was I right and I already miss those days.  Treasure them because the next few years bring with them tremendous changes and your lttle girl will be no more.

la_bella_vita
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:15 AM
5 moms liked this

I wouldn't be concerned.

sdbcoach
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:20 AM
16 moms liked this

We all mature at different times. Take this good while you can. You must be doing something really right to have this open relationship. I'd keep it up. She'll get there.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Quoting sdbcoach:

We all mature at different times. Take this good while you can. You must be doing something really right to have this open relationship. I'd keep it up. She'll get there.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:37 PM
11 moms liked this

Yes. She is wonderfully immature at this point. I think that's a great thing.

Katalina650
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this

You are lucky that she is still your little girl,  My stepdaughter is 8 and already wants to wear makeup and won't wear clothes that she thinks make her look fat.  I wish she was still playing with dolls.

Matriarch87
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM
5 moms liked this
the only comcern I would have is about her getting bullied by peers bc of her interests.

other than that, kids are into different things at different times. my neice sounds a lot like your daughter. I think they are the same age. she has four lottlw brothers and sisters so the little kid games have never gotten out of her system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)