Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dealing with Lyme Disease

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM
  • 16 Replies
Wondering if anyone has delt with Lymes? Just found out my 5yr old might have it. Covered in head to toe in a rash (not very itchy). Thought it was allergic dermatitis. Took him in and they said Lymes.
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM
And now he has a fever of 100.6 and staying very quiet. Put himself to bed. Isn't it sad that when they are sick and out themselves to bed you worry. But when they are healthy some nights it would be a blessing? :) Still not itchy. Rash is getting heavier and heavier it seems. His tummy is upset now and he's got swollen glands in his neck but says it isn't sore. Wierd.
Saharra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:48 AM
Rash has gone down today. It looks like his skin is just red now, instead of patchy. His face is still patchy. But his fever is gone, and his hands and feet are swollen. Think we will call the docs again this morning and see what they say about it.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:52 AM
Where do you live?
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:53 AM

did they actually do the blood test for it?  That's what my daughter had to do...the dr took one look and ordered the test and sure enough, she had it..altho she didn't get a rash all over...she had the typical HUGE bullseye right on her hip where she was bitten..she was given antibiotics, and two years later, still has joint issues... make sure you have a lab diagnosis for lymes, and don't just take the drs word for it.  You may have to take him to a rheumatologist down the road, as that is what my dd had to do..she was 17 when she got lyme's...my brother got it at 50, and ten years later, still suffers from it.  His went undiagnosed for a year tho..

princessputter
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM

I wouldnt take this advice.. without a blood test.... the " rash" that goes with lymes.. looks like a bullseye....and is located around the tick bite...My baby sis got it at 5.. it was tough when it was active.. shes considered in remission... but will always have it

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Did they do the blood test and give him antibiotics?  if they didn't do the blood test, demand it...it's the ONLY way to determine Lyme's...any dr who says lyme's just by looking at it without ordering the proper test is an idiot and should be reported to authorities.  

Quoting Saharra:

Rash has gone down today. It looks like his skin is just red now, instead of patchy. His face is still patchy. But his fever is gone, and his hands and feet are swollen. Think we will call the docs again this morning and see what they say about it.

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM
We are in Michigan. Around here, MOST (not all) docs says that Lymes blood testing can have a 90% false positive rating. We are treating it like Lymes just to be safe. But it's the strangest rash I have ever seen. He did have a funky mark on his leg a few days before ally his started. (Maybe a week?) I was watching it because I thought it was unusual that the Bruise/bite wasn't healing. Then Friday evening his back broke out in a rash that looked almost like hives. He had a few spots on his arms and legs too, but his back was the worst. We did Zyrtec and Benedryl. Saturday morning it was showing up on his face, and had covered most of his body. I covered him in cortisone cream and took him in (though he was saying it wasn't very itchy...it was more for me ;). We got to the docs and the nurse said it looked like allergic dermatitis. I agreed. I thought for sure it would be an allergy diagnosis.
Doc came in and said "Wow". Lol. Examined him everywhere and noticed the spot on his leg. He said it "could" be viral, but he wanted to treat for Lymes to be safe, because of the mark on his leg. (21 days of antibiotics). Ticks have been extremely heavy out here this year and we pretty much live outside.
No one else has gotten the rash. I'm watching my youngest for it. Hoping we caught it early!
emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM

i don't agree with the 90% false positive rating...i live in CT, where this disease was borne,  and drs are adamant about blood testing...i'd insist on a blood test as you don't want to treat him for something he doesnt' have.  And, NO ONE i know has gotten an all over rash like you describe, from Lyme's disease.   

Quoting Saharra:

We are in Michigan. Around here, MOST (not all) docs says that Lymes blood testing can have a 90% false positive rating. We are treating it like Lymes just to be safe. But it's the strangest rash I have ever seen. He did have a funky mark on his leg a few days before ally his started. (Maybe a week?) I was watching it because I thought it was unusual that the Bruise/bite wasn't healing. Then Friday evening his back broke out in a rash that looked almost like hives. He had a few spots on his arms and legs too, but his back was the worst. We did Zyrtec and Benedryl. Saturday morning it was showing up on his face, and had covered most of his body. I covered him in cortisone cream and took him in (though he was saying it wasn't very itchy...it was more for me ;). We got to the docs and the nurse said it looked like allergic dermatitis. I agreed. I thought for sure it would be an allergy diagnosis.
Doc came in and said "Wow". Lol. Examined him everywhere and noticed the spot on his leg. He said it "could" be viral, but he wanted to treat for Lymes to be safe, because of the mark on his leg. (21 days of antibiotics). Ticks have been extremely heavy out here this year and we pretty much live outside.
No one else has gotten the rash. I'm watching my youngest for it. Hoping we caught it early!

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM

A true active infection of Lyme's WILL come out positive in a blood test..

Saharra
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Mobile Photo

I think I can get this picture to post. This is the spit they were concerned about.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured