Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Homeschooling Moms

Posted by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM
  • 5 Replies

Where do you start??  I honestly have no idea really.  My daughter will be going into kindergarten in the fall which because of my husband's work schedule means that she will be up and gone before he gets up and he will be leaving for work as I am going to pick her up from school so we are considering homeschooling.  I just really have no clue where to start looking into things.  He thought that she didn't have to go all day until first grade so that would give him another year of seniority to move to first shift but he definitely won't be able to this year.  We are both starting to really think that homeschooling may be best for our family. 

by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Start by talking to your school district. When school begins she may not see daddy much during the week but they can spend time on weekends when he is not working.  I would definitely talk to school district and possibly a local homeschooling group.

lynnedelou
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Work books from Walmart or even the dollar stores are great beginnings for a kindergartner.  Here in Florida kindergarten really isn't important, but that is what I did.  I homeschooled all three of mine through high school.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I disagree about contacting the school district, particularly if your child will be going into K-5 which is not mandatory.

IMO, the first step is this:

Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Thank you so much ladies!

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I've been looking into homeschooling my daughter for kindergarten as well. I think the most helpful first step (after looking into state laws) is to look into the different appproaches (i.e., Charlotte Mason, unit studies, etc). You can also find programs like k12.com which is an online public school. I believe it is  free as long as you live in the states. Another thing to consider is how your child learns and then factor that in. For instance, my daughter is a more tactile hands-on learner. So I decided she'd do best with unit studies but I'm wanting to put some structure in there for me. Because of this I'm leaning towards My Father's World for curriculum. But I also did a search for hands-on learning and found math-u-see which I think my daughter would prefer for math. So I'm mixing and matching. :-) And that's another thing. You don't have to buy pre-packaged curriculum. You can find reading from one place, math from another, etc. Oh! And decide what you want to focus on and what you want to be learned if you build your own curriculum. Especially for kindergarten you don't need to do every single subject like history if you don't want. For us I'm thinking of focusing on learning more reading, handwriting by writing letters to friends/family and writing her own stories, counting to 100 by 10s and 5s (plus extras for her for math because she loves numbers), and I want us to do a science experiment and art projects as well for added fun. :-) I'm hoping to do those tied in with unit studies. To me kindergarten is about letting them realize that learning can be fun and not about pushing them too hard which is what a lot of people tell me the kindergartens here do. :-) Anyways, I'm sure people who have done this before will have more insight than I do but hopefully some of this will help. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)