Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

DH just diagnosed with...

Posted by   + Show Post
Type 2 Adult Onset diabetes. I know that we need to be making some dietary changes (white bread to brown etc...) but I am looking for some YUMMY diabetic friendly recipes. Give me your best recipes (both sweet & savoury) ladies. My husband has a HUGE sweet tooth so even if you have tricks on how to adjust your favourite recipes so that they are "friendly" would be appreciated. TIA ladies. Quote Like
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

We use Stevia as our sweetener.  Splenda is sugar treated with chlorine so no aspartame in it.  It is sucrolose i believe.  Nutrasweet as far as i know is the only aspartame sweetener but i could be wrong.  All the artificial ones we stay away from.  Stevia is a natural plant based sweetener and my guy does best using that. 

I can look up the various recipes we have used at home for sweet baked goods.

Quoting bluedolly01:

Thanks.

Splenda and the other artificial sweetners arent allowed in my house anyway because of the aspartame in it.

We are going to try the Blue Agave as a sugar replacement. Have you tried that?

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are so many options.  He also may be able to eat "regular' food just much more in moderation than he has been.  For ice cream Blue bunny has a great sugar free selection for flavors.   Do not use splenda for your sweetener in any cooking since it can cause insulin resistance in the body as well as cause level spikes.

mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

what I have found is really look at labels.  We tend to go for ice cream bars instead of ice cream in a carton.  Often the regular store brand bars have as as much or fewer carbs than the sugar free stuff.  It's all about moderation and watching the carbs.  men should have about 60 to 75 carbs per meal and woman should have between 45 to 60 grams of carbs.  Stevia is a natural sweetener that does not affect blood sugar.  I have found a white bread that is 16 net carbs for two slices and wheat tortillas that are 5 grams of net carbs.  If this helps you at all.

bluedolly01
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Maybe I'm confusing Splenda with something else? Pretty sure its put with the artificial sweetners here in Australia and that could be why I thought it was artificial, but I will pay more attention at the store next time.
We have a full on range of artificial sweetners available here - so big it not funny in some stores :(

I would love some recipes - especially ones that people have tried and liked.

Thank you :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

We use Stevia as our sweetener.  Splenda is sugar treated with chlorine so no aspartame in it.  It is sucrolose i believe.  Nutrasweet as far as i know is the only aspartame sweetener but i could be wrong.  All the artificial ones we stay away from.  Stevia is a natural plant based sweetener and my guy does best using that. 

Quoting bluedolly01:

Thanks.

Splenda and the other artificial sweetners arent allowed in my house anyway because of the aspartame in it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are so many options.  He also may be able to eat "regular' food just much more in moderation than he has been.  For ice cream Blue bunny has a great sugar free selection for flavors.   Do not use splenda for your sweetener in any cooking since it can cause insulin resistance in the body as well as cause level spikes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
belindah
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

DH is a diabetic and i find alot of great recipes online for him.  Watch the fruits and juices he eats also.  I was very surprised to find out orange juice brings his sugar up very high.

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:28 PM

PM ME OP.

glitterrain
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

having diabeties is hard, ( i had gestational twice and i am also hypoglacimic ) i really wish i had a recipe for you i really dont remember what i did, they told me just to watch my carbs more than anything and i saw a nutionist and she gave me a book for going out to eat and i was shocked to see i really didnt have to change as much as i thought.  the hardest part for me was cutting back on sweets also, but they recommend spenda and other sugar subistutes which i hated! but they also say if u must drink soda drink diet! good luck

mommy2boys03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Splenda is an artificial sweetener.  the dietician we have spoken with  said that since Stevia came from a plant it is better for the body than all the chemicals in the artifical sweetners and to watch the carbs in the items.  it is more about portion control

Quoting bluedolly01:

Maybe I'm confusing Splenda with something else? Pretty sure its put with the artificial sweetners here in Australia and that could be why I thought it was artificial, but I will pay more attention at the store next time.
We have a full on range of artificial sweetners available here - so big it not funny in some stores :(

I would love some recipes - especially ones that people have tried and liked.

Thank you :)

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Thanks.

Quoting frndlyfn:

teeflowerchild
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Mr. Food everyday diabetic recipes,you can sign up and get recipes everyday!

PoehlerBear1983
by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Did they put him on insulin or metformin? I have type 2 diagnosed last year. I can not eat ANY grains or fruit or starchy veggies. They all spike my blood sugar. Grain is grain and your body turns it to sugar it doesnt matter if its white or wheat. Sure wheat is healthier and to a non diabetic great but your body turns it to sugar just like it would white bread. He needs to eat to his meter not what people tell him is healthy. There is a great site called diabetesdaily.com there are awesome people on there and they are extremely helpful.

I dont know what his a1c was but in July of last year mine was 11.7 and by January it was 5.8

Best of luck and if you have any questions i would be happy to help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN