Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

DH just diagnosed with...

Posted by   + Show Post
Type 2 Adult Onset diabetes. I know that we need to be making some dietary changes (white bread to brown etc...) but I am looking for some YUMMY diabetic friendly recipes. Give me your best recipes (both sweet & savoury) ladies. My husband has a HUGE sweet tooth so even if you have tricks on how to adjust your favourite recipes so that they are "friendly" would be appreciated. TIA ladies. Quote Like
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
mckinneymom918
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 10:57 PM
So I know nothing about cooking for diabetic. But I make quinoa for breakfast with coconut milk, add berries. Yum!

Quoting terpmama:

Oh and quinoa is a pretty decent sub for rice (I cook it in chicken stock not water)
emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this
chocolatecoveredkatie.com

do not eliminate all carbs, he needs a steady supply all day so his body doesn't have to play catch-up... if you aren't signed up to see a diabetes educator you need to.
AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this
What a bummer hope you can get it under control.

I don't have any diabetic specific recs, but agree to try pinterest!
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Lots of good cookbooks out there for diabetics, and try the American Diabetes association web site for lots of good advice and free websites. Please, no diet pop, it messes with blood sugar levels, truly!

bluedolly01
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Thank you. I will check it out.

Quoting teeflowerchild:

Mr. Food everyday diabetic recipes,you can sign up and get recipes everyday!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM
Thank you for the website, I will definitely check it out.

We are in Australia so the medications have different names - they didn't put him on insulin (said he's not bad enough) and metformin is not what he was prescribed (I can't remember the names right now but will pm when I get home).

A1C That's what your blood sugar monitor checks right? If so then just this weekend it went up to 25.3 (we only got the dx on Saturday so still learning all the terms sorry).

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Did they put him on insulin or metformin? I have type 2 diagnosed last year. I can not eat ANY grains or fruit or starchy veggies. They all spike my blood sugar. Grain is grain and your body turns it to sugar it doesnt matter if its white or wheat. Sure wheat is healthier and to a non diabetic great but your body turns it to sugar just like it would white bread. He needs to eat to his meter not what people tell him is healthy. There is a great site called diabetesdaily.com there are awesome people on there and they are extremely helpful.

I dont know what his a1c was but in July of last year mine was 11.7 and by January it was 5.8

Best of luck and if you have any questions i would be happy to help

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:18 PM
Thank you. I will check it out :)

Quoting teeflowerchild:

Mr. Food everyday diabetic recipes,you can sign up and get recipes everyday!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:24 PM
Thank you. We have only just got the dx over the weekend, we have registered with a Diabetes support group here in Australia so we get discounts on test strips and lancets etc but the also have educators and dieticians as well that we will be seeing sometime soon.

Quoting emkirkley:

chocolatecoveredkatie.com

do not eliminate all carbs, he needs a steady supply all day so his body doesn't have to play catch-up... if you aren't signed up to see a diabetes educator you need to.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Thank you for your good wishes. I hope so to.

Quoting AM-BRAT:

What a bummer hope you can get it under control.

I don't have any diabetic specific recs, but agree to try pinterest!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Thank you. We never touch diet soda in our house anyway.

That stuff is death in a bottle.

Quoting suetoo:

Lots of good cookbooks out there for diabetics, and try the American Diabetes association web site for lots of good advice and free websites. Please, no diet pop, it messes with blood sugar levels, truly!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN