Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

DH just diagnosed with...

Posted by   + Show Post
Type 2 Adult Onset diabetes. I know that we need to be making some dietary changes (white bread to brown etc...) but I am looking for some YUMMY diabetic friendly recipes. Give me your best recipes (both sweet & savoury) ladies. My husband has a HUGE sweet tooth so even if you have tricks on how to adjust your favourite recipes so that they are "friendly" would be appreciated. TIA ladies. Quote Like
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
PoehlerBear1983
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM
An a1c is a 3 month average of your blood sugar. What he checks at home is just what it is at that moment.

If i followed what my doctor told me my blood sugar would be through the roof. I try to eat no more than 20 carbs a day. Eventually i will try to increase my amount but for now Thats what i can tolerate

Quoting bluedolly01:

Thank you for the website, I will definitely check it out.

We are in Australia so the medications have different names - they didn't put him on insulin (said he's not bad enough) and metformin is not what he was prescribed (I can't remember the names right now but will pm when I get home).

A1C That's what your blood sugar monitor checks right? If so then just this weekend it went up to 25.3 (we only got the dx on Saturday so still learning all the terms sorry).

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Did they put him on insulin or metformin? I have type 2 diagnosed last year. I can not eat ANY grains or fruit or starchy veggies. They all spike my blood sugar. Grain is grain and your body turns it to sugar it doesnt matter if its white or wheat. Sure wheat is healthier and to a non diabetic great but your body turns it to sugar just like it would white bread. He needs to eat to his meter not what people tell him is healthy. There is a great site called diabetesdaily.com there are awesome people on there and they are extremely helpful.

I dont know what his a1c was but in July of last year mine was 11.7 and by January it was 5.8

Best of luck and if you have any questions i would be happy to help

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Im type 2 diabetic.

You dont have to change to brown bread.

You just need to have him watch what he eating and how much he is eating.

I only had to test once a day..the only reason i changed is because i was pregnant.

What was his levels?

I was only like one number over...they disnt gve me time to try and change it.
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Just because you have diabetes doesnt mean that you need to be put on medication right away.

I was on zero medications at all because mine was only one number over what they wanted.

Reason im on meds now is because of being pregnant....and my doctor is kinda a douche bag

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Did they put him on insulin or metformin? I have type 2 diagnosed last year. I can not eat ANY grains or fruit or starchy veggies. They all spike my blood sugar. Grain is grain and your body turns it to sugar it doesnt matter if its white or wheat. Sure wheat is healthier and to a non diabetic great but your body turns it to sugar just like it would white bread. He needs to eat to his meter not what people tell him is healthy. There is a great site called diabetesdaily.com there are awesome people on there and they are extremely helpful.

I dont know what his a1c was but in July of last year mine was 11.7 and by January it was 5.8

bluedolly01
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM
I don't know his exact numbers and he is useless at remembering stuff like that. I wasn't with him at the appt - I will be going to the next one though.

He is testing 6 times a day atm for the first month and then 3 times a day is what the dr said.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

I only had to test once a day..the only reason i changed is because i was pregnant.

What was his levels?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:47 PM
Then his numbers werr sky high.

He needs to start getting shape and cutting out any sugary drinks. And any sodas.

If he has to test six times a day ge was sky high.

Quoting bluedolly01:

I don't know his exact numbers and he is useless at remembering stuff like that. I wasn't with him at the appt - I will be going to the next one though.

He is testing 6 times a day atm for the first month and then 3 times a day is what the dr said.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

What was his levels?

grannysam11068
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

do the same for me i have diabetes also not to take attn from your post bluedolly01.

grannysam11068
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM

message me instead ladies this is bluedolly01's post

WritingMom777
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am sure the doc has mentioned it by try to get more exercise as a family.  Losing a weight can totally REVERSE type 2 diabetes.  When FIL lost a bunch of weight he also lost the type 2 diabetes with it.  

Stevia is a sugar substitute recommended by Dr. Oz.  It is made from a plant leaf so there is nothing artificial about it.  Also, it does NOT affect insulin like some other sugar substitutes can.  DH loves it -- it is actually a bit sweeter than sugar so you might need to use a little bit less.  

Also be careful of fruits -- even though they are good for you they still have a lot of sugar.  Some of the better ones are strawberries, apples, and grapefruit because they don't have as much sugar and have more fiber.  Low fat popcorn is really your friend because you can use it for snacking and the fiber helps make you feel fuller.  

Try substituting some sweet desserts for more savory ones like nuts, cheese, popcorn, etc. I sometimes have turkey bacon cooked up nice and crispy as a snack. Boiled eggs are a great snack too.   Also try your local library for diabetic cookbooks.  Or try a big bowl of strawberries with low sugar cream on top -- yum!! Or pears poached in low sugar cranberry juice (or other fruit juice) is very tasty.  

Check your condiments.  Mustard is great!  Make sure that your barbecu sauces, etc. are not full of high fructose corn syrup.  Chick Fil A has the most awesome diet lemonade.  I know you don't like aspartame but splenda is actually NOT made from aspartame.  Or make your own diet lemonade with stevia.  Agave is used by a lot of people who eat organic foods but before you switch read this article in the Huffington Post by a doctor: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-jonny-bowden/debunking-the-blue-agave_b_450144.html

Most importantly, PLEASE remember that his is REVERSIBLE.  If you can help DS get control of diet and exercise he could put this disease behind him.  The best thing is that there are sooooo many great food options out there to help you get control of the diabetes.  

I wish you and your DH the best!!!!

bluedolly01
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Our Dr wants to put him on meds given him the PX and everything, we are going to do it naturally though as much as we can and avoid the meds for now.

She did say to us that it is pretty standard treatment - kind of a one size fits all thing. :/

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Just because you have diabetes doesnt mean that you need to be put on medication right away.

I was on zero medications at all because mine was only one number over what they wanted.

Reason im on meds now is because of being pregnant....and my doctor is kinda a douche bag

Quoting PoehlerBear1983:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I know. They were about to call an ambulance for him it was so high. Only reason they didn't? He felt fine.

Cutting out sugar? Done. :)

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Then his numbers werr sky high.

He needs to start getting shape and cutting out any sugary drinks. And any sodas.

If he has to test six times a day ge was sky high.

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

What was his levels?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)