Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

DH just diagnosed with...

Posted by   + Show Post
Type 2 Adult Onset diabetes. I know that we need to be making some dietary changes (white bread to brown etc...) but I am looking for some YUMMY diabetic friendly recipes. Give me your best recipes (both sweet & savoury) ladies. My husband has a HUGE sweet tooth so even if you have tricks on how to adjust your favourite recipes so that they are "friendly" would be appreciated. TIA ladies. Quote Like
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 6, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Replies (41-47):
MrsKaufold1990
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I've been in and out of the ER many many times because my sugars were way too high for me. 

Now, you can't take me too seriously lol, I am telling you no soda, yet i am drinking a cup of cream soda...I'm pregnant, and all I been craving lol. 

If I hadn't ended up pregnant I'd be at the gym every single day still. 

I was diagnosed, and that night we headed to the cheapest gym...I lost ten pounds with in a week of finding out. 

Quoting bluedolly01:

I know. They were about to call an ambulance for him it was so high. Only reason they didn't? He felt fine.

Cutting out sugar? Done. :)

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Then his numbers werr sky high.

He needs to start getting shape and cutting out any sugary drinks. And any sodas.

If he has to test six times a day ge was sky high.

Quoting bluedolly01:

I don't know his exact numbers and he is useless at remembering stuff like that. I wasn't with him at the appt - I will be going to the next one though.

He is testing 6 times a day atm for the first month and then 3 times a day is what the dr said.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

You dont have to change to brown bread.

You just need to have him watch what he eating and how much he is eating.

I only had to test once a day..the only reason i changed is because i was pregnant.

What was his levels?

I was only like one number over...they disnt gve me time to try and change it.

emkirkley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 5:16 PM
not necessarily, my mother tests 5 times per day and was not sky high, her only number they struggled to get under control was her morning fasting number... some doctors want a good picture of what's truly going on with the numbers throughout the day before they move forward with a treatment plan

my diet is 30gm carbs for breakfast, 15gm for for each snack ( mid-morning, mid-afternoon, and bedtime) 45gm at lunch, and 45gm at dinner....I cannot tolerate dairy or fruit at breakfast...

contrary to what some will say, whole grain products do make a difference because they contain more fiber and more protein which help stabilize blood sugar by changing how quickly it's absorbed into the blood.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

He needs to start getting shape and cutting out any sugary drinks. And any sodas.

Quoting bluedolly01:

I don't know his exact numbers and he is useless at remembering stuff like that. I wasn't with him at the appt - I will be going to the next one though.

He is testing 6 times a day atm for the first month and then 3 times a day is what the dr said.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

I only had to test once a day..the only reason i changed is because i was pregnant.

What was his levels?

bluedolly01
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM
He is already in the process of losing weight and has already lost 15kg so we are continuing that and looking at his diet.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Yeah, I've been in and out of the ER many many times because my sugars were way too high for me. 

Now, you can't take me too seriously lol, I am telling you no soda, yet i am drinking a cup of cream soda...I'm pregnant, and all I been craving lol. 

I was diagnosed, and that night we headed to the cheapest gym...I lost ten pounds with in a week of finding out. 

Quoting bluedolly01:

I know. They were about to call an ambulance for him it was so high. Only reason they didn't? He felt fine.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

What was his levels?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluedolly01
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:15 AM
He is already in the process of losing weight and has already lost 15kg so we are continuing that and looking at his diet.

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting MrsKaufold1990:

Im type 2 diabetic.

What was his levels?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sillymumof2
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:19 AM
Wow that's In teresting... I never knew that. About splenda. My bf is at risk for diabetes ... so these tips r great!

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are so many options.  He also may be able to eat "regular' food just much more in moderation than he has been.  For ice cream Blue bunny has a great sugar free selection for flavors.   Do not use splenda for your sweetener in any cooking since it can cause insulin resistance in the body as well as cause level spikes.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 3:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It is recent findings that were published online about splenda.  My guy makes his own iced tea and sweetens it with Stevia which is a natural plant based sweetener. We love fruit or veggie or herb infused water as well to drink.   I prefer citrus or mint whereas my guy likes cucumber or citrus LOL.

Quoting sillymumof2:

Wow that's In teresting... I never knew that. About splenda. My bf is at risk for diabetes ... so these tips r great!

Quoting frndlyfn:

There are so many options.  He also may be able to eat "regular' food just much more in moderation than he has been.  For ice cream Blue bunny has a great sugar free selection for flavors.   Do not use splenda for your sweetener in any cooking since it can cause insulin resistance in the body as well as cause level spikes.

Shabz
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM

some things have natural sweetness-fruits honey etc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)