Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm pulling my hair out one stran at a time.

Posted by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
  • 16 Replies
Ugh.... I thought twos and threes were bad. No one warned me about sevens. My daughter is the worlds worst drama queen and has an attitude of steal. She back talks, roles her eyes, stomps her feet, slams doors, hits "not often", and oh the list could go on. I've warn her tail many of times and have been very consistant with it. I've taken things away. Sent her to bed early. Had heart to heart talks with her concerning the way she acts and why she acts as she does. I'm just not finding any closure to this attitude. Please help..... I've also sent her to her room for a little while for her to think about what she has done. This isn't what I thought my little girl would act. Now I'm afraid to see teen years. :/

What am I doing wrong?
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
somethingfunny
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:14 PM

does she need more one on one time? is her dad in the picture and does he give her positive attention?

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is 7...I feel your pain! I think they are getting better at expressing themselves and that isn't always such a positive thing.

Femommy
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I'm a SAHM while her dad runs a full time heating and air company. Which requires him to be gone all hours of the day. We are a small business. She doesn't see him very much but when times slow down with business he's home with us. She always says she wants to spend time with us. But the way she acts I tell her it takes away from us doing special things together. However I let her help me cook meals which she enjoys. Sometimes depending on situation I'll do things with her anyway. Because I want to have fun time with her. I was reading her a book tonight and we would switch every other page reading. Well when I corrected a word she got wrong she would kick her legs out and get all mad. Them started rambling the other words for a little bit. I kept telling her to straighten up or I'll close book. She acted as she didn't care but that was what she had decided for us to do. I don't get it....

Quoting somethingfunny:

does she need more one on one time? is her dad in the picture and does he give her positive attention?

somethingfunny
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 11:42 PM

well, if she's already told you she wants and needs more personal attention, i don't see what the question is? and the reason why she acts out when you do give her attention is she's probably scared to open up because for whatever reason she's afraid of being rejected (yelled at, pushed aside for something for important, etc) so she acts like she doesn't care, or acts up so that she'll get in trouble before she gets rejected. it doesn't really make sense but it's a common defense mechanism. i would definitely suggest doing more one on one things with her and not letting anything distract you, even when you don't think she deserves it or when she acts like she hates it.

my sister has a 7 year old daughter and she took her out to get their nails done and then get ice cream. she said her daughter complained the whole time and just kept asking for more things than what they were doing, so she thought it was a waste of time. but when i asked my neice about it she said it was awesome and she had a lot of fun and she hoped they could do it again.

Femommy
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Just to get something clear there is nothing more important to me then my kids. Ive tried taking her out to get pedicures and all she does is complain about how long it takes and makes the ladies a bit frustrated. I do as much as I can with her one on one. We have started a scrapbook, we play games, get in pool, etc... Lots of stuff we do together. Now that school is out for summer it's worse.

Quoting somethingfunny:

well, if she's already told you she wants and needs more personal attention, i don't see what the question is? and the reason why she acts out when you do give her attention is she's probably scared to open up because for whatever reason she's afraid of being rejected (yelled at, pushed aside for something for important, etc) so she acts like she doesn't care, or acts up so that she'll get in trouble before she gets rejected. it doesn't really make sense but it's a common defense mechanism. i would definitely suggest doing more one on one things with her and not letting anything distract you, even when you don't think she deserves it or when she acts like she hates it.

my sister has a 7 year old daughter and she took her out to get their nails done and then get ice cream. she said her daughter complained the whole time and just kept asking for more things than what they were doing, so she thought it was a waste of time. but when i asked my neice about it she said it was awesome and she had a lot of fun and she hoped they could do it again.

crwspringer
by Silver Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Take away everything that isn't a necessity and don't give it back until the attitude gets better.
That is the only thing I've got. Back when I was little if I did that to my mom I got smacked.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
britmichele
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM
does she have friends? Siblings?
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this

What is the daily schedule like?  When she is at school there is a set routine through out the day.  I know for my 7 yr old, the less structured things are the more she acts up out of boredom.

Femommy
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 3:15 AM
She's got lots of friends. When she's at school she is a totally different person. Everyone loves her and tells me how sweet and kind she is. She has two brothers. Her older brother is with us half the week (my stepson he's 9) then her little brother who is 20m. She is a huge help with him. Always doing stuff for him willingly so I don't have too she says.

Quoting britmichele:

does she have friends? Siblings?

Femommy
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:13 AM

We really don't have a daily schedule. We eat at the same time every day though. Since it's summer vacation we don't give a set bedtime but she is asleep by 9pm every night. If I need to go to town for anything I always make it 10am when we leave house. Other then that I just let her play. That's how my husbands and my parents raised us. Right now she is watching tv with her little brother snuggling up on the couch.  I love the little bond they have.  :) But I understand what your talking about with a routine. I may have to try that out and see how it does.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What is the daily schedule like?  When she is at school there is a set routine through out the day.  I know for my 7 yr old, the less structured things are the more she acts up out of boredom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured