Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

How do you get your children to bed by 8:30pm?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM
  • 24 Replies

We are really struggling with getting our children to sleep.  Our 2-year-old falls asleep by 9:30pm and our 4.5-year-old falls asleep by 10:30pm.  It doesn't matter whether we shorten the naps, get out and burn off energy late-afternoon, or start dinner at 6:00pm.  We can't seem to get them to sleep earlier.  Any ideas would be great.

Go Vegan for your health, for the animals, and for the planet

by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:50 AM
I want to know too! I try getting them up early ànd they crash in the middle of the day then stay up all night.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:55 AM

They may not be the type of people who can go to bed like that........ DD is a notorious night owl unless it is school time.  School stimulates her enough that she is passed out by 9:30 -10pm and up by 7:30am.  We have the rule from 8pm on that she can be awake in bedroom but must play quietly or read a book until she is ready to sleep.

Have you tried white noise,soothing music, a fan blowing for relaxing sounds?

notjstanothrmom
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 2:56 AM
3 moms liked this
We put them to bed because its bedtime like it or not.
JTnJT
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:18 AM

I had the hardest time getting all mine on a schedule.  It sucked at first but what I ended up doing that worked for us was: I got everyone up at 6am, we went through our typical daily routine, except I shortened naps to 1 hour.  Then I would start their bed time routine at 7:00pm.  I started doing a mix of Pilates and yoga with them for 5-10 minutes every night after their baths, but before stories.  I let them all know that once lights went out, they were not to get out of bed (other than bathroom needs).  This of course did not stop them from getting up, but instead of telling them to get back to bed, I would take their hand and without saying a word lead them back to their beds.  It took about a week all together to get them on what I consider a good schedule, which is up by 7am in bed and asleep by 8pm.

GodsAmiga
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:27 AM

My kids were like that. Their baby brother came along though and he goes to sleep at 6:30 for bed like clockwork. When my hubby went to nightshift for a week it tired me out enough that I started their routine at 6-6:30 so they got into bed by 6:30-7. They have stayed up for maybe a hour whispering and looking at books in bed but they are always asleep now by 8-8:30 tops. We've added a new thing right now since my dh has been doing bedtime. If they're still awake when their brother is asleep in bed I come in and read to them for a little bit from a book. Right now it's Misty of Chincoteague. After that we're going to read Ramona. :-) That always settles them down and many times they fall asleep while I'm reading. :-)

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM
2 moms liked this

A predictable, get ready for bed routine is the clue. A bedtime story and snuggle is vital. And after the second potty, one more drink, 'nother kiss, one more hug, walk out...do not look back, let the shrieking begin! :-)

emmy526
by Silver Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:25 AM

this...bedtime was a no nonsense time of night for our family.  They didn't stay up for hours playing with me 'gently reminding them' its time to go to sleep...they grew up knowing when 'mom said it's bedtime, it's bedtime', and no problems going to bed ever arose. 

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

We put them to bed because its bedtime like it or not.

H.Perales
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:47 AM

All kids are different. On school nights my son goes to bed at 8 sharp. When he was younger what we did was put him in his bed, gave him a hug and kiss and walked out of the room. As much as he whined and cried we didn't go back in. Of course we check on him from time to time, but it's something you gotta keep working at. 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM
No naps? How late do they sleep? Strict bedtimes. Mine knew we were no nonsense like someone else said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RandiBear
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I don't know if my son just has too much energy but he has never fallen asleep before 9. It's a no nonsense rule in our house. Bed time is bed time but if we put him to bed at 8, as suggested for his age, he just lays in bed awake. I tested it by putting a camera in his room. He stayed in bed, but he didn't sleep for almost an hour and a half. We moved bed time back to 9 and he is usually alseep by 9:30. Only time it's earlier is if he's sick. I wish I could get him to bed earlier but he is who he is and he's not lacking sleep (doesnt nap either). His pedi said it would likely change if we put him on ADHD meds but...an earlier bed time isn't that important to me. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN