Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

no lifejackets at the pool?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
  • 11 Replies

So we went to the pool yesterday and my son(2) had a life jacket they told us he could not wear it. Of course i was in with him as was his grandmother and dad but he doesnt want to be held. My thought process is that ik his mom i should choose rather he wears one or not and they should be happy that there are parents that do that... its for safty. Can anyone tell me why he would be aloud to wear one?

by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ELFs_Mommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this
That is ridiculous! I would be asking why exactly he wasn't allowed to use it and demanding to see where they have that particular rule written down. If they couldn't do either of those, I'd tell them to shove it :/.
Bieg9093
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:12 PM
2 moms liked this
Our pool has the same rule. No floatation devices of any kind. I think its a necessary rule because otherwise people would trust devices to keep kids from drowning rather than their own eyes.
matofour
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Life jackets aren't a swim device. They are there if something happens in the water.
Plus, they are horrible at teaching a child to swim. They hold the child straight up and down, instead of in the swimming position.
Why can't he swim near the shallow end? You don't have to hold him the whole time? He an hang on the stairs, and play in the water.
anotherandree
by Inga on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:42 PM

According to this article, first, it gives parents a false sense of security (like someone else said) and so they depend on the jacket instead of watching their own children.  Two, a large number of flotation devices in a public pool would make it difficult for lifeguards to see where someone may be drowning.  

luvcats406
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I have a beach near me and the lifeguards will not let my kids wear my life jackets or water wings.  The lifeguard told me that I had to wear theirs.  He gave me a life jacket from a pile under his chair.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM
This is the reason.

Quoting Bieg9093:

Our pool has the same rule. No floatation devices of any kind. I think its a necessary rule because otherwise people would trust devices to keep kids from drowning rather than their own eyes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caseysmommy8911
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:58 PM

There is no shallow end 3 1/2 feet is the lowest

Quoting matofour:

Life jackets aren't a swim device. They are there if something happens in the water.
Plus, they are horrible at teaching a child to swim. They hold the child straight up and down, instead of in the swimming position.
Why can't he swim near the shallow end? You don't have to hold him the whole time? He an hang on the stairs, and play in the water.

mom2ljh
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know why they didn't allow it. I guard at a pool which hosts a camp and we require non swimmers with the camp to wear USCG approved PFDs. We also allow anyone to wear them.
WritingMom777
by Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM

hmmmm. . . is there simply one giant pool with no section for younger children?  We go to the Y and they actually have life vests that parents can request and the lifeguards will even help put them on.  There are a ton of life guards at our pool, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference.  Maybe ask if an approved swim vest would be allowed.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Lots of pools say no. We used to tie a pool noodle around them. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)