Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

my ten month old son has stopped nursing right

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM
  • 29 Replies
He literally seems to have no suck. Could this be related to an ear infection or teething? I have scheduled a doctor appointment for him but would like advice or suggestions to help Jim. Last night I hand expressed to get him to nurse, he swallows, acts like he wants to nurse, but gets frustrated easily now. He does not drink from a bottle for me, he will at daycare but refuses for me. Also his nose isn't runny or anything and other than fussiness he seems otherwise ok. This just started late last night
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jojojen86
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:44 AM
Bump
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:44 AM

Hmmm how do they feed him at daycare, sitting up or laying down?   It sounds like it could be ear issues if he is laying down at home and can not latch on comfortably.  Definitely talk to the doctor about it though.

jojojen86
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:48 AM
I think they just hand him his bottle. I did try propping him up and nursing and he seemed to swallow easily then but he had hardly any suck.
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:27 AM
Maybe he is ready for a sippy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:26 AM

At 10 months, same as my dgd, he is getting teeth and wants to feed himself. They want texture and should be picking up bites and feeding themselves. She eats banana bites, diced peaches, green beans, granola bars, she loves crackers and the rare Happy Meal burger n fries. This sounds like a normal step in growth n development. check out the American Academy of Pediatric feeding guidelines. My two daughters nursed till 14 months after refusing to nurse during the day. Jenna actually pushed me away and said sippy!!

threenorns
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

could definitely be an ear infection.

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I would join the breastfeeding group.  It could be teething, ear infection,etc.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bookwormy
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:27 PM
It could also be self weaning. See what the doctor says.
mckinneymom918
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this
Self weaning does not occur before 12 months. Rarely before 2.

Op- just keep offering. My dd is 10mo too and she's getting 4 teeth right now and that has changed her latch. Treat for teething then nurse.

Quoting Bookwormy:

It could also be self weaning. See what the doctor says.
Tckosdk.2012
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I would def ask the ladies over in the breastfeeding group. They seem to know everything about breastfeeding & that's where I go for any breastfeeding questions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)