Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who have nannies/babysitters

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM
  • 21 Replies

Would you let your child's nanny/baby sitter take your kid to the park?

Ive had this nanny for like a year - she comes full time - from 8 am to 4 pm. So far shes been very reliable (not late a single day late in the entire time, takes good care of my kid, very responsible and caring). I work from home so Im kind of around all the time though not with them in the same room. She regularly takes him for walks around the neighborhood. Just recently we decided to let her take my son to the park which is like 5 minutes driving distance from our home.  She's a safe driver - I know this as Ive been out with her a couple of times.

Am I just being paranoid - because I keep thinking whether I should be letting her take him out at all? I dont have a way of monitoring what she does when shes out there with him alone. Im pretty sure shes a good kid...but I keep thinking.

What would you do under the circumstance? Do you let your baby sitter take your kids out alone? How do you make sure your kids are safe?

Thanks for your advice, comments, ladies.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kaybreezii
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

At 17, I was a nanny for a special Ed two year old and a three year old. I was with them from 1pm-10pm almost everyday. I fed them lunch, naps, bath time, dinner time, and bed time. Their mother trusted me enough to take them to the library or to the park. I don't see why if you've known her for that long, you should be too worried. How old are your kids? Even at 2 and 3, these kids were intelligent enough to "tell on" people if they needed too.

SpiritedMom2
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Well hes 3.5, but not sure if he will tell on her especially if she tells him not to. (I dont believe she would - Im just saying)

matofour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I was a nanny, and personally would if never nannied if I couldn't leave the house with the kids.
Nothing sucks more than being stuck in a house with a child all day.
We went many many places together.
Either you trust her, or you don't.
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:00 PM
I've never heard of a many not being able to leave the house
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Most nannies I know take kids anywhere they need to go.  I remember a nanny bringing a little girl to dance where my dd took classes for several years. 

My friend has a daycare in her home.  NO way does she sit at home all day every day.  Never has.  She has had a daycare for almost 25 years now.  She wouldn't take a child that the Mom wouldn't let the baby go places.  Plus sometimes she picks up kids from preschool or drops them off also. 

You either trust them or not. 

You are WAY too paranoid.  Helicopter Mom's do not raise well rounded kids. 

rhiannonaisling
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I would expect a nanny to be able to take my kids places the first few times I would probably call a lot and I would question my kid about what happened and then I would relax. A babysitter not so much (unless they are family or really really good friends)

2Gs
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I've had a nanny and I have faced this same dilemma.  We have a park about a mile away that they can walk to... all sidewalks.  But you know what?  My nanny and my daughter are both (in my own mind) a kidnapper's dream.  They are tiny little blue-eyed blondes who couldn't fight off anyone.  So even though I know I'm paranoid I don't let them go anymore.  It's my kid and I'm footing the bill and I can't work if I'm worrying about my kid.  There are plenty of activities to do inside and out in the yard.  They do not need to go to the park.

2Gs
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Nothing sucks more than being stuck in a house with a child all day?  You sound like a GREAT nanny.

Quoting matofour:

I was a nanny, and personally would if never nannied if I couldn't leave the house with the kids.

matofour
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Hmmm, was with the family for six years.
Just cause I don't want to be stuck in a house doing the same thing day after day, doesn't impact how I nannied.
I don't like to be stuck in the house day after day with my own kids.
We are get out and adventure type of people, always have been.
When I nannied, we went to parks, daily. Museums, hiking, biking, the girls both roller blades by three because we spent so much time outside.
Life is meant to be lived. Not stuck in a house for days on end.

Quoting 2Gs:

Nothing sucks more than being stuck in a house with a child all day?  You sound like a GREAT nanny.

Quoting matofour:

Marimaru
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you should let them go.  It's good for them to get out of the house.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)