Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where to put 2 car seats in a car?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM
  • 61 Replies
I am being induced Thursday, and I don't know proper positioning of the car seats in the back. I have a 2 year old in a forward-facing seat, and I will have a newborn Thursday. Do I put one in the middle, or one on each side? I called our fire station and police dept., and they don't do inspections.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mckinneymom918
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
When my 2nd was born, we put one on each side.
Retrokitty
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM
I would personally put one on each side but the middle is the safest spot.
Hollybriann
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I had twins and put one on each side
christababy
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:52 PM
Infant should go in the middle.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Newborn in the middle and the toddler on one side. 

threenorns
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:54 PM
THE safest is to turn the passenger air bag off and put the newborn in the front seat, put the toddler in the center back.
threenorns
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:56 PM
darn mobile app... as i was going to say, otherwise, if you're not driving, you go in the center back and have a baby on either side.

best to have newborn out of reach of the 2yo.

Quoting threenorns:

THE safest is to turn the passenger air bag off and put the newborn in the front seat, put the toddler in the center back.

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:25 PM

From what i understand infant in middle and toddler on one side.... We were not taught that though.  We had dd on passenger side in the back from the start.

busymom64064
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:34 PM
3 moms liked this
Wtf? Idk Where you've been getting educated on child passenger safety, but you are NOT supposed to put a child in the front seat. ESPECIALLY a rear facing infant infront of an air bag. The only time you would put a child in the front seat is if you have too many kids in your car and you've exhausted all of your options of putting kids in the safest locations in the car.

Now about positioning car seats. .... look at your manual. Some cars won't let you put a certain seat or use LATCH in a certain location. The infant is safest in the middle. I would put the 2 yr old on the right rear (behind passenger). When you pull over our what not and you have the 2 yr old behind you, you ultimately are opening the door to get your child in the path of traffic. .... so it would be safest to put oldest on right rear behind passenger. This way you Are less likely to be in the path of traffic should Tog have to pull over our get your child out.

Quoting threenorns:

MJP76
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM

One on each side

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)