Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice needed for 'Potty Training'

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 6 Replies
My 3yr old son doesn't want to ditch the pullups. hell use the potty only if and when we suggest its potty break time, but he will not go voluntarily. he hates it. he says he doesn't want to, that he wants to play or whatever it is he wants to do at the time. and I have tried every single thing that I have heard to do. my daughter just all of the sudden got it over night, didn't even need any encouragements or 'training' I know that he should be on board with at least wanting to, and he isn't allowed into a head start unless hes completely pull up free. I just don't know what to do since everyone I know says that I must not be doing it right and that I have to force him etc. but im just not going to punish him for it. I think that's a little much, its getting old though..
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Have you tried just putting the pullups away for a day and see how he does with regular underwear?  My dd was a real stinker since she trained really late but could stay in panties all day dry.  As soon as she got a diaper she would use it then ask for panties again.

mellyfury
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:02 PM

we make a huge deal out of going potty like a big boy and refer to pullups as baby undies and they are yucky and stinky we have fun with it and they will get it when they are ready just keep trying and always be supportive! even accidents are okay we just try harder next time!
Good luck!! 

bamababe1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this

It may be time to take a break for a few days and then start up again. The harder you push, the harder they reject whatever you're trying to do. After a few days, start again, but don't use the Pull Ups, just underwear, and try a more laid back approach. It may kickstart that need and get him there. For more tips, try this post: Potty Training

pinarsan
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM

BUMP!

emmy526
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:41 AM

ditch the pullups, and put him in underwear...yes, he'll make a fuss...yes, you'll have a lot of accidents to change...yes, it will take a while...consistency is the key...you can't have him in undies one week, and then back in pullups the next-totally confusing for him....get rid of the pullups once and for all, and make him wear underwear.  

bugnchunk
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM
have done this too, on days that we don't have anywhere to go, he wears them but I really just got tired of having to clean pee out and off of everything so the pull ups went back on. that is if hell even wear underwear that day. some times hell sneak to the pull ups and put one back on.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)