Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

OT: Camera recommendations wanted (SuperZoom digital)

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM
  • 13 Replies

I want to get a super zoom camera, leaning towards Canon but hear Nikon is good too.  I want a point and shoot with super zoom and there are just too many to choose from and customer reviews are tough to guage seeing as how they offer minimal information regarding the types of photos they take.  I'm wanting to get something that I can take close up shots of my son for blowing up and framing, also family pictures and such.  I am also wondering if these cameras have the "rapid shutter" feature so I can take action shots and let it capture every move without having to repeatedly depress the button.  (Can you tell I'm no photographer with my lack of terminology there  LOL).   I'm not looking to spend much more than maybe $230 on the camera.  

Also, noticed a couple have wi-fi and/or touch screens.  Could anyone tell me how those work for you?  I'm not a smart phone person so I'm not into touch screens and wonder if that would be a bit more complicated for point and shoot / candid use. 

Thank you so much for any information/recommendations.  

ETA:  I'm leaning towards the Canon PowerShot SX500 IS

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Buy the best Nikon cool pix. I bought the 9500 but it was over $300. There is a 9400 $50 cheaper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heretolisten
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Thank you.  Although only one response (appreciated), it was the third Nikon shout that I have gotten amidst my search and queries for recommendations this week so I went with Nikon.  :) 

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:05 AM
The past 10 years all I have bought are Nikon cool pix. Which one did you get?

Quoting heretolisten:

Thank you.  Although only one response (appreciated), it was the third Nikon shout that I have gotten amidst my search and queries for recommendations this week so I went with Nikon.  :) 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heretolisten
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Quoting atlmom2:

Coolpix L820 :)
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:00 AM

My DH has photo degree. He has a Kodak pro for budget reasons but likes Nikon best. He suggests one with least lag time, but your budget might not allow. Happy picture taking!

lovingmy4babies
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:33 AM

GE has a good one, but I can't remember the price at the moment. I'll look it up for you. I am a Nikon girl, personally, so the Coolpix looks good too!

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I just bought a CoolPix L820. 

I, too, struggled with what to buy OP.   :)

This camera is pretty great and very simple- I can access and actually use all the fun stuff. It has picture editing right in it and I enjoy that.

It records 1080 HD video and the zoom is 30X. I find the zoom pix to be nicer than the regular ones lol.

Let me see if I can put some up... Oh and it was on sale at Target for $199 (reg $279) so I was stoked.  :)

Quoting atlmom2:

Buy the best Nikon cool pix. I bought the 9500 but it was over $300. There is a 9400 $50 cheaper.

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Hilarious that's what I just posted I bought lol! Then I scrolled up and voila. Did you get the red one?

Quoting heretolisten:

Quoting atlmom2:

Coolpix L820 :)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:09 PM

These are some I took with the L820 getting to know it. I had great zoom ones of trees and stuff but erased them... I like the color options, to just choose one color in a pic.

This was a panaramic I messed up. It was so sad lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN