Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

heat rash on adult

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
  • 16 Replies
My hubby gets horrible heat rash. Usually he can keep it under control but lately it's just bad. It's on the back of his thighs. Do you have any suggestions to help? Thanks!!!!
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM

What has he tried to minimize it?   I use honey dust for my problem areas which include the inside of elbows since those get sticky for some reason when it is hot out.   I think gold bond came out with a sports spray to help with heat rashes.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Powders don't work. A&D usually does but this time nothing is helping :( He's a laborer n since its so hot some days he sweats more than others.

Quoting frndlyfn:

What has he tried to minimize it?   I use honey dust for my problem areas which include the inside of elbows since those get sticky for some reason when it is hot out.   I think gold bond came out with a sports spray to help with heat rashes.

rugratsmommy4
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Has he tried a antihistamine? My dd is allergic to heat and has to take that regularly to prevent heat rash/hives.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Has he tried putting antiperspirant in the trouble spots?  There is the gel formula which may help him if the drier formulas do not help (i mean the antiperspirants which turn into a powder on skin).  He may need to talk to an actual doctor.  i have known some people to wrap gauze around legs for heat rash while they work.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:48 PM
He can't take them b/c of his BP :(

Quoting rugratsmommy4:

Has he tried a antihistamine? My dd is allergic to heat and has to take that regularly to prevent heat rash/hives.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

What are the treatments for heat rash?

In most cases, heat rash will clear up on its own in a few days if the affected area is kept cool and dry. Avoid excessive heat and humidity and cool off with a fan, take a cool shower or bath and let your skin air dry, or if you have air-conditioning, use this to cool yourself. Once the skin is cool and dry again, don’t use any type of oil-based product, which might block your sweat glands. Calamine lotion and/or hydrocortisone cream can relieve itching and irritation.

If your prickly heat does not go away within a few days, or if you develop an infection where the bumps have burst, you may need medication, so consult your practice nurse or your doctor.

How can I prevent heat rash?

To prevent heat rash, avoid situations that can lead to excessive sweating, such as hot, humid environments and strenuous physical activity. In hot weather, use fans and cool showers and baths to stay cool, or air conditioning if available; dry your skin thoroughly; and wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothes ideally made from cotton.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Actually haven't thought of this.....Thanks so much!!!!!

Quoting frndlyfn:

Has he tried putting antiperspirant in the trouble spots?  There is the gel formula which may help him if the drier formulas do not help (i mean the antiperspirants which turn into a powder on skin).  He may need to talk to an actual doctor.  i have known some people to wrap gauze around legs for heat rash while they work.

rHOPEb
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:17 PM
We live in Ga.....always humid...Hahaha! :) thanks!!!!

Quoting frndlyfn:

What are the treatments for heat rash?

In most cases, heat rash will clear up on its own in a few days if the affected area is kept cool and dry. Avoid excessive heat and humidity and cool off with a fan, take a cool shower or bath and let your skin air dry, or if you have air-conditioning, use this to cool yourself. Once the skin is cool and dry again, don’t use any type of oil-based product, which might block your sweat glands. Calamine lotion and/or hydrocortisone cream can relieve itching and irritation.

If your prickly heat does not go away within a few days, or if you develop an infection where the bumps have burst, you may need medication, so consult your practice nurse or your doctor.

How can I prevent heat rash?

To prevent heat rash, avoid situations that can lead to excessive sweating, such as hot, humid environments and strenuous physical activity. In hot weather, use fans and cool showers and baths to stay cool, or air conditioning if available; dry your skin thoroughly; and wear lightweight, loose-fitting clothes ideally made from cotton.

Marimaru
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:53 PM

If he's a laborer, maybe his pants are the problem.  Maybe they are older, and so the material is pilling up and bugging him, or maybe they are new, and not worn in enough or something like that?

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:20 PM

I read the other ideas, I wonder if a pair of long cotton pants worn under his work pants- long enough to cover the problem area, would help. I don't know if something such as this is even available. But long cotton underwear maybe.  If I were bothered by pants rubbing my legs, I'd wear some long gym pants that wicked away moisture. I'm not sure whether cotton or a nylon or other wicking material, worn under his work pants, would help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN