Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well check ups mandatory?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 35 Replies

Are there mandatory well check up visits for kids ages 4 to 7? We brought our daughters to the urgent care today. They have a pcp but can only get in by appointment and she is booked. The doctor at the urgent care told my husband if we don't keep up with our daughters well visits then dhs can get involved. This is the first time my daughters have seen a doctor this year besides a dentists. Are there requirements for well visits after the age of 3? We live in Louisiana. Our primary care doctor never mentioned anything.

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM

I have no idea. I always bring my kids in for their well visits. If your doctor is that booked up that she can't even fit your child in, maybe you should find a new doctor? 

OkieOBRN
by New Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:44 PM
My children havent been to a Well Check since they were 3-4. They are 9-13 now. They get sports physicals and go when they need it.. for instance my son had pink eye 3 weeks ago...

Why would a well child check be mandatory? Healthy kids dont need a visit to declare them healthy. I can weigh and measure them at home.
atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Nothing is mandatory ever. At least not on our insurance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

My kids' ped has them come in yearly after their 2 yr checkup. They look at all kinds of development from physical to cognitive, etc. That said, as long as your kids are healthy, I doubt cps will do anything. That is more if they are not and you are medically neglecting them. 

MagicTemptation
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:58 PM

We live in a small town. She is the only pediatrician near us. She is an amazing.

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

I have no idea. I always bring my kids in for their well visits. If your doctor is that booked up that she can't even fit your child in, maybe you should find a new doctor? 

xoxRachelxox
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Well then you really have no option if she has no appointments available. I wouldn't worry too much about CPS. If your child is cared for and healthy, they won't do anything to you. I'm not even sure, you may not have to have them. 

You could always call the pediatricians office and ask them. 

Quoting MagicTemptation:

We live in a small town. She is the only pediatrician near us. She is an amazing.

Quoting xoxRachelxox:

MagicTemptation
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

That was kind of my take on it. If my kids are healthy why bring them into a place that is usually filled with sick people? If it is something as simple as pink eye, I can call their pcp and she will call in a prescription for me. They will both be doing sports this year so will have to go in for physicals in August.

Quoting OkieOBRN:

My children havent been to a Well Check since they were 3-4. They are 9-13 now. They get sports physicals and go when they need it.. for instance my son had pink eye 3 weeks ago...

Why would a well child check be mandatory? Healthy kids dont need a visit to declare them healthy. I can weigh and measure them at home.

atlmom2
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:30 PM
This whole post is bizzare. No one calls cps ever because kids don't go to the doctor. They have no time to see who comes and who doesn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I'd think not mandatory. But I always take my 3 (9, 5, 10.5 mo), insurance pays 100% as preventative- I have no reason not to.
mom2ljh
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:41 PM
No. That's ridiculous. I need to take my son for a well visit but that's for his health, not because I think anyone is going to take him because he hasn't been in 2 years.
He doesn't currently have a PCP because his doctor moved to start her own practice. I'm trying to decide if I want to drive out to her or go with someone closer.
So, he never had a 5 year well visit. Oh well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured