Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Why is this even an item on a school supply list??? UPDATE 8/7/13

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
  • 73 Replies
3 moms liked this

WHY?!?! Please explain to me WHY individually wrapped candy is on a school supply list?! I know... counting & sorting! But seriously? 4th graders "need" candy to help them sort & count??? NO! And I'm sure it's used as a reward too! I refuse to provide candy for my son's supply list. His teacher can reward him some other way! And he has foam shapes from a previous school that he used for counting & sorting that he can use again.

UPDATE: So I failed to remember the fact that my own father just retired from teaching... 4th grade! LOL I asked him why a teacher would ask for candy. He said some times teachers do use them as rewards. But often times they are given out as cough drops since students aren't allowed to have them in some schools. Also, they give them out for testing, preferably mints because it helps students concentrate.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask the teacher for the reason of candy on list.  We have never had it on our lists.

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sending it in at all. I feel if it is being used as rewards then it's contributing to childhood obesity. And we all know she isn't going to be taking back the candy used for sorting & counting when the kids are done! She's going to let them eat it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would ask the teacher for the reason of candy on list.  We have never had it on our lists.

Jenn8604
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:15 PM
WTF!!! No!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allycally
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Why r they counting and sorting in grade 4?... you could send tootsie rolls they are not many calories
rayroe2
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Because candy is awesome. Its a treat. Sweets are good for you just not all the time.
mom2ljh
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM
I would question it, definitely.
frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Since I do not know the teacher personally, I know no such thing about what she will do afterwards.   4th grade seems to be a big old for counting/sorting exercises anyhow.   Our teachers have used paper cut outs, bingo counters, toothpicks etc for this particular lesson.  When our teacher needed candy for an arts and craft she would ask us a few days before not at beginning of school year.

Quoting CampClan:

I'm not sending it in at all. I feel if it is being used as rewards then it's contributing to childhood obesity. And we all know she isn't going to be taking back the candy used for sorting & counting when the kids are done! She's going to let them eat it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

strictmomhere
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
My daughters schools ask for candy also:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vwd_johnson
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I wouldn't supply it either.
Decemberlov
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I agree...shouldn't be on the list.

My daughter won a contest at school where you had to guess how many jelly beans were in the jar...yeah she came home with 173 jelly beans from school one day...well probably much less because she had already eaten a ton before she got home. I wasn't too happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN