Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

eye infection that won't go away? Updated!

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 22 Replies

I have an eye infection that just won't heal and im starting to get really frustrated. Its going on a month now, I'v spent hundreds of dollars going to see the eye dr and then more on my eye drops. My last bottle was $40!!! Today was supposed to be my last day of these drops and I thought it was almost gone. My eye was looking better, then I go to put in my last drop tonight and bam my eye is blood shot again. Anyone ever deal with this??? Or now of anything that could cause it??? I asked my dr what kinda infection it was and he said he'd have to culture it to be sure, but it wasn't that bad of an infection to have to cultlure. If this isn't a bad infection I would hate to have a "bad" one. Im going to call up again tomorrow and go in for new drops or something.

I'v thrown out all my makeup. Change the pillow cases. Washing my hands. I threw out my contacts and haven't put in another pair since this has started. 

Update: I had to see a new dr today, the one I was seeing is on vaction. She said my infection has pretty much cleared up, now my eye is just irritated. Im supposed to coutinue my eye drops for another week and start a steriod today ... if my eye is looking worse or no improvement over night she said to come back in tomorrow. The steriods are supposed to clean up the redness within a couple drops of them. We'll see. Im not  very hopeful at this point.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Time to have it cultured.

jackiewal10
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:47 PM

Is he SURE it's even an infection?  You could be having an allergic reaction to something.  Also, there are some eye drops that are not good for certain people's eyes.  There is one drop that is thick, almost oily, that I can not use.  I scratched my eye pretty good a couple years ago and these drops made it WORSE.  My eye, like, rejected them. When I put them in, it felt like something had gotten in my eye.  Like an eyelash or something.  Once I switched drops, I was fine.

Do you have any new pets?  New furniture?  Have you noticed any mold growing anywhere?

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM

My doctor said never drive with the windows down- that this forces dirt into the eyes- so maybe this is another thought. Definitely get it checked and find out for sure. Please update us when you find out? There are eye washes, and even salt water- but ask your doctor about this, and I would think the doctor would already have told you.

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:51 PM

He said its an infection. I guess I have some red bumps on my bottom eye lash. I had it in my other eye a little, than when I took the first eye drop it went away in that eye but my left eye that is was worse in just won't heal. Nothing new that I can think of that would cause an allergic reaction.  

Quoting jackiewal10:

Is he SURE it's even an infection?  You could be having an allergic reaction to something.  Also, there are some eye drops that are not good for certain people's eyes.  There is one drop that is thick, almost oily, that I can not use.  I scratched my eye pretty good a couple years ago and these drops made it WORSE.  My eye, like, rejected them. When I put them in, it felt like something had gotten in my eye.  Like an eyelash or something.  Once I switched drops, I was fine.

Do you have any new pets?  New furniture?  Have you noticed any mold growing anywhere?

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I will update for sure. I plan on calling as soon as they open in the morning. My eye is beat read, im afraid if it goes on much longer im going to have vision issues. 

Quoting Bmat:

My doctor said never drive with the windows down- that this forces dirt into the eyes- so maybe this is another thought. Definitely get it checked and find out for sure. Please update us when you find out? There are eye washes, and even salt water- but ask your doctor about this, and I would think the doctor would already have told you.

lilmama8408
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM
How do you put in your drops? If the bottle at all touches your eye your spreading it. I'd ask for a culture and maybe a steroid eye drop with antibiotic or oral and eye antibiotics
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Oh my, this is a worry. A cool damp cloth placed gently over the eye perhaps to reduce the inflammation?  Could you call the doctor now? Do they have an on call doctor? How about going to ER if it seems to be getting worse now?

Quoting MrsNewman:

I will update for sure. I plan on calling as soon as they open in the morning. My eye is beat read, im afraid if it goes on much longer im going to have vision issues. 

Quoting Bmat:

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:58 PM

i don't let the bottle touch my face at all. 

Quoting lilmama8408:

How do you put in your drops? If the bottle at all touches your eye your spreading it. I'd ask for a culture and maybe a steroid eye drop with antibiotic or oral and eye antibiotics

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know if the ER could do anything. The office is closed for the night. Hopefully the drops will give me a little reliefe for the night. 

Quoting Bmat:

Oh my, this is a worry. A cool damp cloth placed gently over the eye perhaps to reduce the inflammation?  Could you call the doctor now? Do they have an on call doctor? How about going to ER if it seems to be getting worse now?

Quoting MrsNewman:

Quoting Bmat:

britmichele
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:11 PM
Are u sure you haven't scratched your eyeball? My sister did it once and it did sadly cause vision problems :( I hope it gets better really soon!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN