Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Tempted to quit my job

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
  • 15 Replies
It no secret that I hate my job. I have collage degree in graphic design and I'm working fast food. I was doing freelance until my computer crapped out on me and I have yet to get a new one. I'm looking for a new job but had no luck. I suck at the interview process. I'm trying my best to quick it out at this job. Since I'm the type of person that does what I'm suppose to people expect me to pick up other's slack. And most people at work do slack off. But when I slack off the boss says something to me but not the others. when it comes to truck day the boss always forgets to order something we need. I end up short on something I need to prepair the food. It drives me nut. I talked to dh and he said if I want to quit then quit even if I haven't found another job or not. I'm not sure what I should do. So I go ahead and quit or should I tough it out until I find another job?
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katallison
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Ugh, I feel for you! Fast food sucks!! It's so hard being a hard worker in a fast food place. Talk about never feeling appreciated! I mean, if the means are right and you can quit, quit! You will have more time to look for something else!

valkins
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I agree with the other post, if you are in a position to quit then do so. I would give you a piece of advice. Try to save as much money from this job that you possibly can so that you can work towards buying a new computer. Since your expertise is in the field of graphic designing, try and see about starting a business of your own,  in this economy it's very tough trying to find a job in our area of expertise, but there are jobs out there. As far as your job interviewing skills, check you local unemployment office; they offer job interviewing classes that are very useful and could come in handy. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

steffiecox
by Steph on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM
It does suck. DH wants me to quit cause I come home from work pissy. He would rather me be a sahm. I would probably be happier staying at home with he kids until I find something better.

Quoting katallison:

Ugh, I feel for you! Fast food sucks!! It's so hard being a hard worker in a fast food place. Talk about never feeling appreciated! I mean, if the means are right and you can quit, quit! You will have more time to look for something else!

steffiecox
by Steph on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM
I have a friend that own's an online magazine. she said she'll hire me when I get a new computer.

Quoting valkins:

I agree with the other post, if you are in a position to quit then do so. I would give you a piece of advice. Try to save as much money from this job that you possibly can so that you can work towards buying a new computer. Since your expertise is in the field of graphic designing, try and see about starting a business of your own,  in this economy it's very tough trying to find a job in our area of expertise, but there are jobs out there. As far as your job interviewing skills, check you local unemployment office; they offer job interviewing classes that are very useful and could come in handy. I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do.

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Don't quit until you have another job. Practise interviewing- your husband or a friend can pretend to be the interviewer.  You can learn how to do well at an interview. Get your resumes out, tell friends you are looking. Good luck!

je80ss
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM
If you already have your friend waiting to hire you, stick it out till you buy that computer. Quitting will prolong that and your misery.
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I would stick it out and save the money for a new computer. Then take the job your friend is offering.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Jennanonymous
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Tough it out until you find another job.  You can't possibly sustain a career in graphic design or even obtain one without a laptop or desktop computer with appropirate software so that should be top priority for you to purchase asap. You should also put together a VERY extensive portfolio of  your work to show on interviews. I got a graphic design job on the spot during an interview because my work spoke for itself through my portfolio of various printed products and website screenshots I put together. I ended up turning down the job because the pay was less than I would be able to accept ($10 with benefits and potential to move up to supervisor position) with having two small children and another on the way to pay child care costs for we decided I would just stay at home doing freelance work instead of only bringing home 1/3 of what I would be making.

valkins
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I think that's an excellent offer, hurry up and get that computer. So make that your motivation in keeping that job. IMO!

Quoting steffiecox:

I have a friend that own's an online magazine. she said she'll hire me when I get a new computer.

Quoting valkins:

Jennanonymous
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM

If you can make it with only DH working then I would quit now and finance a new laptop through Dell to do some freelance work so you stay fresh in the design world until you can find a better paying stable graphic design job. You may want to set aside enough  $$ for the Adobe Creative Suite though first.

Quoting steffiecox:

It does suck. DH wants me to quit cause I come home from work pissy. He would rather me be a sahm. I would probably be happier staying at home with he kids until I find something better.

Quoting katallison:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)