Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

temper temper!

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 1 Replies

My 6yo (7 next mo) ds can be so sweet & happy, but he definitely has a short fuse, & it's usually over small things.  He screams & yells, has tears in his eyes & his face is red he's so mad.  I've told him that if he ever screams @ me & disrespects me like that, he goes straight into time-out.  Today, right b/4 lunch I'd taken the trash out so I asked him to please put a new bag in the can.  "No!  I don't want to!!"(Jumps in air, red-faced, teary. . .) I put him in time-out for yelling.  Dd starts to do it for him. I told her no, as soon as he's out, he is to do it.  I finish heating the soup on the stove, ask him a couple times to do it, he still screams no, he can't & doesn't know how.  "I'll help you, but you have to come over & do it, & quit screaming @ me." The fit continues, so I give dd her lunch & let ds cool down some.  He FINALLY calms down after about 20-30 min.  Any suggestions, so I'm not just making him more angry??

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
JRashiv
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

You have a difficult situation that I am sure many moms can relate. I have seen several times from my mommy group friends that their child also does this in public. Have you tried spanking (just kidding)? I can tell you one thing, it is definitely a phase and the best thing you can do is be calm and gently response every time. Time out is sometimes working negatively. I take it with my daughters, they sometimes go to time out by themselves which is odd.

I have also discovered that in boys several times mommies told be that ear infection is a reason for extreme tantrum and yelling. Kids usually can't take any orders and just freak out.

When my girls start tantruming I have a simple solution. I take a chocolate bar and start eating in front of them, they love it so when if they stop they get chocolate - works most of the time. Bribe... wish you all tthe best.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)