Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Skipping Breakfast Could Mean the Difference Between Life & Death

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 26 Replies

Skipping Breakfast Could Mean the Difference Between Life & Death

by Emily Abbate

breakfastThe morning rush gets the best of me sometimes. Between trying to squeeze in a quick run, remembering to grab my laundry from the cleaners, and trying to make myself presentable enough to walk into an office -- it's easy to forget one major thing: breakfast. Yeah, you may think "it's no big deal," but the big deal could be the difference between life and death. According to new research published in the journal Circulation, skipping breakfast could increase your risk for heart attack or fatal heart disease.

Seriously. Considering about 10 percent of Americans don't eat breakfast, this isn't some study we should all throw out the window. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes skipping breakfast isn't just about timing, it's about trying to "eat healthier."

Man, am I (and those other 31 million Americans) making a serious mistake.

Tell me if you can see where I'm coming from: Breakfast is a meal that's generally highly focused on carbs. When you're trying to get your act together and eat right, carbs aren't the first thing on your to-eat list. I think breakfast on-the-go and I think bagels, croissants, donuts, muffins, and coffee cakes. That's why I've been a breakfast skipper, personally. Because the last thing I want to do is kick-start my day with straight carbs.

The person who doesn't want to grab those heavy carbs rushing to work needs to find time to prepare, sit, and eat. Whereas I'm all for scrambled egg whites, an egg white puff, or a low-calorie yogurt topped with heaping servings of fruit, these things take time to assemble.

So it's all about making that time for the betterment of your health. Lately, my go-to breakfast has been a bowl of Special K topped with a half cup of blueberries and a banana. It's filling, takes about five minutes to make and eat, and after doing so, I feel better knowing I've gotten some solid nutrition in to start my day. Dare I say it, now that I've found something I enjoy eating, I look forward to it. Take that, heart disease!

Do you skip breakfast? If so, why?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:17 AM

No, I always have coffee yogurt for breakfast, and I like it so much that I look forward to breakfast.

TattedReader
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
coffee yogurt? where do you find this???

Quoting Bmat:

No, I always have coffee yogurt for breakfast, and I like it so much that I look forward to breakfast.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't skip. Breakfast is important to lose weight which I am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Saw a greek yogurt brand

Quoting TattedReader:

Quoting Bmat:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Nope. I always have my hot tea, two granola bars, and usually yogurt.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Grocery stores. Dannon is the brand. Dannon Coffee Yogurt. It is usually by the vanilla and plain yogurt in the 6 oz containers. I see there's a new latte or cappacino yogurt, but I've tried it and it isn't nearly as good. The coffee yogurt tastes just like coffee ice cream.

Quoting TattedReader:

Quoting Bmat:

Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I tried a greek yogurt that said something similar to coffee, but it wasn't as good.

Quoting atlmom2:

Saw a greek yogurt brand

Quoting TattedReader:

Quoting Bmat:

coupon_ash_back
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Everything now will cause death,cancer,or both so I just do what I do and not worry.
OliviaW.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM
I don't normally eat breakfast. I honestly get sick if I do. I might grab some crackers at around 10 or so but that's it until lunch.
Jenn8604
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:01 PM
lol exactly.

Quoting coupon_ash_back:

Everything now will cause death,cancer,or both so I just do what I do and not worry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)