Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with my 22 month old!!

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 14 Replies
My son is 22 months old and never listens to me!! He knows when I'm busy I won't really punish him. But every time I correct him with something or tell him not to touch something he does it anyways. ill spank him and put him in time out but it doesn't seem to bother him at all. After time out he will do it again, I really hate spanking him so many times a day but I just don't know what to do!! He's very very energetic I don't know where he gets all this energy from he can't sit in one spot for more than maybe 3 minutes top. Plz I need some advice!!
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
supermomwife09
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:19 PM

My son is the same way....so I just had to figure out somethings for him to do to keep him busy...I just started doing activities with him and get him in a routine. I would let him color or paint...play outside and/or go for a walk..paly in the water ...just gotta find what he enjoys doing and use those things to form a routine for him to do everyday and switch it up every now and then so he doesnt get bored with it too fast

supermomwife09
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:20 PM

If theres a park close to you take him there before it gets too hot and let him play with the kids there

LiamK0905
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
He loves to play and run around. I'm going to start a routine with him hopefully that helps.. Sometimes I think my mom spoils him to much lol. she lets him do anything he wants..

Quoting supermomwife09:

My son is the same way....so I just had to figure out somethings for him to do to keep him busy...I just started doing activities with him and get him in a routine. I would let him color or paint...play outside and/or go for a walk..paly in the water ...just gotta find what he enjoys doing and use those things to form a routine for him to do everyday and switch it up every now and then so he doesnt get bored with it too fast

supermomwife09
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Yea thats the hardest part! We are living with my Fiances mom until I can graduate and start working...and we've had the same issue its hard to get the grandparents to stick with what we're trying to teach our kids lol but once I got my son into his routine he pretty much knew what we were gonna do all day so he would tell him grandma what hes gonna do and she got to the point where she would just go along with it cause if she didnt he wouldnt be happy

Quoting LiamK0905:

He loves to play and run around. I'm going to start a routine with him hopefully that helps.. Sometimes I think my mom spoils him to much lol. she lets him do anything he wants..

Quoting supermomwife09:

in lovetoddler boy

LiamK0905
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Ya I'm going to get him on a routine mayb it will calm him down alot more thanks for the advice ;)
supermomwife09
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Your welcome =]...let me know if you need any ideas

Quoting LiamK0905:

Ya I'm going to get him on a routine mayb it will calm him down alot more thanks for the advice ;)

in lovetoddler boy

fivegirls333
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:28 PM

oh boy...it sounds like you created a little monster.  #1...try to stop saying "no"...try "one finger!" - this way he CAN touch anything he wants but he can't really hurt anything.  it sounds like he is acting out to get your attention.  do you actually stop what you are doing, get down on the floor and give him your undivided attention? (no phone, computer)  it sounds like he just wants someone to play with and you are a little busy.  i know that we try to do EVERYTHING...but perfection comes at a cost.  when i come to visit someone and everything is spic and span?  i wonder if the poor kids are having any fun.  this time is going to be over in the blink of an eye.  i don't want you to miss the fun.  why don't you change your perception, start playing with him and let some other duties go.  no one can do it all...he just loves you...you are the moon and the stars to him.  someday he will stop begging for your attention and you will wonder what happened.  staying at home is a huge sacrifice!  as women we feel like if the house is not spotless, dinner on the table, and children at the door like a norman rockwell painting.  i can tell you this.  if you start playing and enjoying him for doing what he is supposed to at his age, your life will be a lot more enjoyable.

Bleacheddecay
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Distraction and safety limiting so that he can't do whatever is more useful at that age. Time out done consistently will eventually work. I'm 100% against spanking.

LiamK0905
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:33 PM
That's great advice thank you.. I do feel like sometimes I don't give him enough attention cuz I'm busy cleaning or making dinner or something.. I will definitely take more time out to play with him one on one

Quoting fivegirls333:

oh boy...it sounds like you created a little monster.  #1...try to stop saying "no"...try "one finger!" - this way he CAN touch anything he wants but he can't really hurt anything.  it sounds like he is acting out to get your attention.  do you actually stop what you are doing, get down on the floor and give him your undivided attention? (no phone, computer)  it sounds like he just wants someone to play with and you are a little busy.  i know that we try to do EVERYTHING...but perfection comes at a cost.  when i come to visit someone and everything is spic and span?  i wonder if the poor kids are having any fun.  this time is going to be over in the blink of an eye.  i don't want you to miss the fun.  why don't you change your perception, start playing with him and let some other duties go.  no one can do it all...he just loves you...you are the moon and the stars to him.  someday he will stop begging for your attention and you will wonder what happened.  staying at home is a huge sacrifice!  as women we feel like if the house is not spotless, dinner on the table, and children at the door like a norman rockwell painting.  i can tell you this.  if you start playing and enjoying him for doing what he is supposed to at his age, your life will be a lot more enjoyable.

Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I reality is that in order to nip these types of problems quickly, for a while you have to make your son your only priority.  You can't be "busy".  You have to watch him, learn his cues (all kids have them) and intercept him BEFORE he gets into trouble.  Then you have to redirect him to things that are okay to do.  You have to do this over and over again until he learns that he can't do what he thinks he wants to do and that he will have a lot more fun doing the things you are allowing.

If you are diligent, it only takes a couple of weeks to end the battles and be able to trust him to know your limits.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)