• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Needs advice for 8 month old

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  • 3 Replies

My son will be 8 months on the 6th. For the past couple of weeks now I've just been struggling trying to figure out what is going on with him and I dont know if it's serious enough to take him to the doctor though or if it's just the norm for infants around this time. He wakes up and gets a bottle then at his next feeding gets 2 tablespoons of oatmeal, then usually every 2 hours later-a bottle, around 5-6pm he eats a jar of baby food, then another bottle or 2 before bed. Well lately some morning he wont finish his oatmeal. Today I tried making a little thicker just to get him used to a little more solid texture, and he refused to eat it. It also takes him about an hour or 2 to finish bottles filled to 7oz. He's also been constipated some days, and others he's not. He drinks a ton of water...he prefers water rather than the bottle actually, so I dont know what the deal is. He strains and gets red in the face but twice now I go to change him after and there's nothing. Or there's just a piece of hard poop. But then again sometimes it's totally normal. I'm just trying to read his cues and go by that now, letting him let me know what he wants. Is there any tip for this or is it just one of those funks? I know things will get regular sometime sooner or later, it's just i'm concerned right now. i just read that prune juice should help so I will go get that, but what about his eating habits? It's all OFF. It's like he's not hungry until he's starving and fussing. 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
emmy526
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM

sounds like constipation......once the constipation clears up, he'll resume his normal eating again...who feels like eating when they're still full? His stomach is signaling he is hungry,  he eats a little bit, then his gut is signaling he is full, so he stops eating.   Try the prune juice or strained prunes and see if it helps.  If the constipation returns, maybe it's the formula or oatmeal clogging him up. 

BeccaJoy622
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM
My daughter went through this exact same thing when she was that age through 3 years old. They weren't concerned, but they did have me "help" her. They suggested I help bend her legs into a squatting position (like she's hugging her knees) or try takin her temperature ( YOU know what I mean!) and maybe even try fiber-rich jar foods too. My little one had it so bad that by the time she was 3, she hadn't developed any muscles in her lower abdomen and had to be put on a miralax diet for several months. Not trying to scare you! But she's 4 1/2 now and doing great! See if this helps, but if not, I'd say def call the doc before he ends up on that diet too! Good luck!
amberwaves88
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Yeah I just read about doing the bottom temperature thing..and I'm personally against violation of the rear end but for medical purposes...i just dont know lol I will totally give him the prune juice though. That's insane about your little girl, poor baby! I'm glad she's all regular now though...I''m going to get offline now and figure this out.

and to the other mom who replied first, what you said makes total sense!! Needed to hear it!! Thanks!! 

Now off to save my son!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)