Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moving to big boy beds :(

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 3 Replies

My twin boys will be 2 on August 12th. We are going on a vacation on August 24th, and it would be super convenient if they were in toddler beds by then, because honestly, they are too big for pack n plays and I am afraid that if I put them in one to sleep in on vacay, they would turn it over and get hurt. 

Right now they are still in cribs. They have always been a little behind in maturity. (They are just starting to say a few words, and be able to listen and understand what we are saying) for this reason, I have been putting off putting them in toddler beds, because I feel like it would be an absolute nightmare!! I fear they will get up all hours of the night, and be running around their room, and difficult to put down. 

What I'm looking for is some moms with experience in moving toddlers to "big beds" from their cribs. How old were they? How long did it take before they got used to it? How did you do it? Did you just all of a sudden one night remove the crib and put the bed in there? I originally wanted to have the beds in there a few nights before we actually did the switch, to get them acquainted with it, but we are using the same mattress from the crib, so it would just become a safety hazzard and something else to climb on. (lol) 

I need advice!! Sorry, I know this was long and filled with questions, but I really want this to go as smoothly as possible for them (and us) and I want them to be safe in the process.

TIA! 

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
ashley9603
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I have twins too and my older twin just made the transition to his big boy bed.We bought Thomas the Train beds when they were a yr old.Anyways he sleeps well in his bed although its a change.He does cry sometimes when he wonders around,however I just put him back to bed and stay with him until he falls asleep.My younger twins is not ready yet,however I think his transition will be easier.By the way my boys turned 2 on June 5th.I also want to add that this transition was not a sudden thing...he started climbing out of his crib and we just decided that it was time.The beds are very low to the ground so they will not get hurt if they happen to fall out(I lay blankets on the side just in case.)However we have had no incidents.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

my boys went from cribs to twin beds. The oldest was 23 months the little guy 10 months. We did it because the baby was a climber. We only had 2 nights of them getting out of bed. We told them its bedtime you have to stay in your bed. It was a very easy transition for us. Hope it goes well for your kids. I would do it ASAP so they know the routine before vacation.

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Once they can climb out of their crib they are ready for a toddler or regular bed

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)