• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Annoying neighbor girl?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
  • 29 Replies

We live in a town home with about 9 others that are connected. A family recently moved into one of them, and they have a little girl that's around 7. Before I explain, I really hate posting this because I feel like it makes me look like a terrible person for not being able to handle this girl.

She's driving me crazy, and I'm trying my hardest not to be rude.  She initially came up to me when I was standing outside with my dog. She wanted to play with him, which was cool because he's young and likes to play. She asked me if I would pay her to pick up the poop in my yard. I told her there wasn't any poop in our yard for her to pick up at the moment. She asked me several times if she could come into my house, which I'm not comfortable with. She had no one outside watching where she was. She again asked me if I would pay her to pick up poop, if she could take my dog for a walk, if I would babysit her, all several times while she was playing with my dog. I tried to explain to her why she couldn't do those things. Later, she came back while we were in the house getting ready to leave. She came right up to our open window, looked in, and asked if the dog could come out. I told her no, we were getting ready to leave. She stayed there and continued to ask if they could come in and play with the dog. She came with another little girl today and did the same pushy, irritating stuff. Even the dog was hiding behind me today and seemed annoyed by her, and he is ALWAYS ready to play. Just now looked out the window because my dog was barking and she's picking up the poop in my yard with her bare hands and putting it into a bag...

It doesn't seem like this little girl has been taught any manners, and I'm hesitant to go to her parents because they seem like people that would get defensive and hold a grudge just because I don't like their kid. She also told me today that her dad said I look like a guy...(I don't care what he thinks, but why would you talk about something like that to your kid?) I feel SO ridiculous posting this, like how can I not handle a 7 year old?? I have a 7 year old brother and he's certainly annoying but not rude and pushy like this. I just don't handle confrontation well at all...I went through a similar situation with the neighbor right next to us being intrusive and it really upset me, so maybe that's why I'm being so sensitive about it. Not sure how anyone can help me but it's nice to vent at least!

So this post has been bumped again a month or so after I posted it, I haven't been on for a while so I now feel the need to update. This girl is no longer a problem. I assume a combination of the cops and DHS being called as well as school starting has been the cause. It hasn't been an issue since a few days after I posted, but I still welcome similar stories venting here, because I know how frustrated and conflicted I felt as a result of the frustration. I may come back and bump/update if it becomes a problem in the future. I thank everyone who has been understanding and not judgemental.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
connie45
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
"No habla ingles." Then walk away or close that window
She is annoying and has no boundaries of get own, so give her yours.
emilyelephant
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM

I literally JUST caught them taking people's mail from the mailboxes down the driveway and taking it to their houses! "If they aren't home we just leave it at the door" NO!

emilyelephant
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM

Yeah freak weather that allowed us to open the window yesterday in the first place. lol
It's the fact that she comes right up to my door...I shouldn't have to go inside just because she's annoying. After this mail incident posted above I'm done being nice. SO went down there to make sure they weren't down there still and there was mail all over the place...

Quoting connie45:

"No habla ingles." Then walk away or close that window
She is annoying and has no boundaries of get own, so give her yours.

AMCMSM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd get a squirt bottle and spray her every time she stuck her head up to my window. Are you renting or are they? If so speak to the management and ask them to discretely speak to them about their DD looking into Windows.

FIREFOX1336
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd go talk to the parents. Reason I say it is because what happens when they come knocking on our door bitching because their daughter looked through your window and you weren't decent. I mean it doesn't happen often, but there are times I'll walk through my house in a towel or Tshirt and panties, or after working out sport bra and shorts. I had a kid just freely go into my privacy fenced back yard to get a toy that went over the fence and saw me through the sliding glass door and his mother threw a fit. I just informed her next time the kid doesn't knock on my door first I'll call the cops or trespassing. She shut up, but the point is you shouldn't have to worry about that type stuff
-PB
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM
4 moms liked this

I would verbally correct her behavior in nice but firm way.  "I would really appreciate it if you would not peep in my windows.  Its rude.  Thank you." and "I believe I already said no to your question.  Please don't ask again."

frndlyfn
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I would ask to talk to her parents about the behavior.  They may not know what she is doing in the neighborhood and needs to supervise her more.  I had a neighbor girl who would walk into our house (lived in a townhome as well at hte time ) without knocking or anything.  I explained to her she needs to have an invitation inside the house and if i was home with door locked that it meant no company.  She loved visiting with our cat.

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

i would tell the parents..maybe they dont know?? i hear ya tho, i hate confrontation too...but that would get annoying!!

celestegood
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah. I would pay her twenty dollars a month to leave you alone. Lmao
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennanonymous
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this
I have dealt with this with having two kids and the neighbor girl is allowed to come/go to our and our other neighbors house (they have a toddler) unsupervised. I just tell the girl "sorry sweetie you have to go home were doing this/that" if I dont want her around. I also correct unsupervised children as well. If their parents have a problem with it I really dont care because I refuse to watch other children do things I would not allow my child to do. I've only been yelled or gave rude comments by a parent twice for correcting their child. But again I really didnt care, Im more concerned about a childs bahviour and safety than their crappy parents. Since their parents arent parenting Im more than happy to take the initiative and hopefully teach, influence and help the child. My mom used to do the same thing when we had unsupervised kids the various places we lived.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)