Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how old when your son stopped having "accidents"?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son is 3. he turns 4 in a few weeks, and he still wets his pants on occasion. My husband is fretting over it like it's the end of the world. How old is too old to stop having accidents?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
A.J.s_mommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:04 PM
I'm not sure. AJ hasn't had an accident since he was 2. Sometimes kids have accidents. Is he busy playing and just doesn't go or is it at bedtime?
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Everyone develops differently.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.  My ds is 6, still has rare bedtime accidents.

SouthernMamaof1
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:24 PM

My DS is 4.  When he's at home he still has accidents.  He never has accidents at daycare or when we are out in public.  He gets busy playing and doesn't want to stop.  It's frustrating. I remind him constantly throughout the stay, but it still occasionally happens.

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:32 PM
I had girls. Once they were daytime trained they were, before 3. Night time, by 3 1/2.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaBear2cubs
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM

Mine hasn't had an accident since he got done with potty training at 2.

njt320
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this
My ds was very old for making it thru the night. Tell dh relax all bladders are different. My ds is 23 now and doesn't have accidents anymore lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greenstone920
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM

My ds is almost 7 and he still has a hard time remembering to stop what he's doing and go to the bathroom... It's been a huge struggle with us, and we've done everything imaginable over the years to curb the accidents.  

My best advice to you, especially since he's still pretty young, is just not to make a big deal out of it.  Treat each accident matter-of-factly, and tell him, "Let's go take care of it," and help him whenever he wants/needs it.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Every child is different, and it is probably normal to have occasional accidents, at that age. Usually they get preoccupied with something they are doing and end up having an accident because they waited too long.

monkeymommy1
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Yes it is always when he is preoccupied and having fun playing. He doesn't like to take a break to pee. He never has issues with poop anymore THANK GOODNESS! lol. My 6 year old was still having issues with that at 4! So I try to tell my hubby that our 3 year old is actually progressing faster in that aspect but he doesn't agree. :/

Quoting A.J.s_mommy:

I'm not sure. AJ hasn't had an accident since he was 2. Sometimes kids have accidents. Is he busy playing and just doesn't go or is it at bedtime?

India-Monet
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

my daughter has been potty trained since 16 mos and accident free since she was 2.  her bff is a boy two weeks younger. both are 3 1/2 yrs old. her bff wears pull ups and has accidents weekly. many parents make excuses about boys developing slower. I dont buy that. I believe you should re-potty train your child. Express the importance of using the rr before leaving the house. if the child is in school it should be reinforced there. it is important for children to inform us the have to go to the rr in a timely fashion. they have accidents because they dont want to stop what they are doing to go to the rr. ask your child every couple hrs if they have to go.. GOOD LUCK!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)