Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

Large age group between children?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM
  • 16 Replies

My husband and I have decided to take the IUD out and try and have a baby.  He has a son who is 14 and I have a son who is 10 but no children together.  I was wondering if any of you had a large gap between children.  How did your older ones handle the new baby?  Did you feel like a family or that you were raising an only child?  How was it starting"over?" 

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aprilm21181
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:19 AM
My kids are 9 years apart boy and baby girl. I was so nervous about the gap but it has been so wonderful, but my son has such a sweet loving personality so that helps alot, he adores his sister even when she gets into his things. She is almost 2 now and I ask him if the excitement of a new baby has started to wear off a little, but he always says no way. I think she loves him the most of out little family.

My sister and I are 9 years apart and when she was little we were very close, but as soon as I hit the teenage years she was not so cool anymore lol, but now that we are older we are very very close.

Nanamom127
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:23 AM

I am 7 years younger than my older sister and 10 years older than my younger sister. For my younger sister, when she was 8,  it was living like an only child because at 18 I went off to college so we older two were out of the house. Then my older sister got married and had a baby when my younger sister was 5. And all of us are close... Age doesn't matter. At least the big age differences didn't in our house, not then and certainly not now that we are all adults  ( 75, 68, 58, and the first niece 54)

AM-BRAT
by Amber on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:28 AM
My kids are close and I'm an only.

My dh is 8 years older than hi sister, they get along fine.

I imagine if you prepare and include kids they will have a good relationship. Gl!!
alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:05 AM

i only have one kid, she is 9..i would LIKE to have more kids one day,  i just havent found the right guy yet  :(  my sisters friend has a 20yr old (by one guy), 14, 13 and 11yr old (by another guys)..and is having another one in march....she is super excited!! (this unborn child is with a different man)

atlmom2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Friends of mine feel like they are raising an only child. One mom has 8 years between her first and 2nd. Then had 3 close in age. Between her 4th and 5th there is 12 years. She feels that the oldest and youngest kinds feel like only children. Of course the 5th got spoiled. The 4th child resented not being the baby also and was never bonded as much too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizard3731
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Yep.  I had two kids five years apart and a third child when my older ones were 17 and 22.  They were fine with having a baby brother, but my ds was embarrassed at first.  They love their little brother and have been tremendously helpful with him.  It kind of feels like raising an only child; however, I don't think it will for you as much, since your kids are still minor children.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:43 AM

There is a 10 year age gap between me and my youngest sister, 8 between me and my twin brother and sister, 7 between me and my middle brother and I have a brother who is a year older than myself. As 2nd oldest (and oldest girl), I was like a 2nd mother to the younger 4 and now I am still very close to all of them.

holly2468
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Hi Veora,

My sons are 8 years apart and they have always been fine with it.  Just be careful and dont use the older child as a built in baby sitter or third parent.  Congratulations on the wonderful choices you have and opportunity for happiness.  Much love and prayers coming your way hun.

jojo_star
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM

My kids are 12, 14, 15, and 17. I am pregnant, so I can't really answer your questions yet, I'm due in February, but you wouldn't be the only one. My pregnancy wasn't planned though. 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:04 PM

My oldest to middle there is a 6 yr 1 month and 10 day age gap, lol And my oldest to my youngest their is a 9.5 yr age gap.

My oldest was fine with her sister (my middle) till she got to be a toddler and still has trouble excepting her has her sister now at 11 and 5 yrs old.

But it has been totally different with her and my almost 18 month old. I am thinking cause she was used to having a sister, so it was more excepting to her, then when she went 6 yrs without having a sister.

But al around I like the age gap. Older ones can help out when and if needed, even if its just so I can take a shower or do laundry etc.....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)