Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for Moms Advice for Moms

The Chilling Drowning Video Every Parent Needs to See (VIDEO)

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
  • 8 Replies

The Chilling Drowning Video Every Parent Needs to See (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

wave poolOf all the videos that get passed around and shared on the Internet, this one, which has recently gone viral, is a true must see, especially for parents. In it you see a crowded wave pool, with kids splashing and having fun. A few seconds in, a child starts drowning, but it isn't until a lifeguard jumps in and rescues her that your attention is even drawn to the drowning child.

It's chilling because it's so easy to overlook this struggling child. There's so much action and commotion all around, that nobody seems to notice. Thankfully the lifeguard does, but it's a scene that could and does play out more tragically in pools and other bodies of water everywhere.

I was at a crowded water park the other day with a lazy river, wave pools, slides, and all the usual fun water activities. There were so many people, and so much activity that such a scene would be easy to miss even if you were nearby. According to an article on Slate, of the approximately 750 children who die in a year of drowning, about 375 of them do so within 25 yards of a parent or other adult.

The video was uploaded to YouTube as part of training for lifeguards, but it's such a vital example for all parents to watch. While lifeguards are invaluable, they simply can't see everything going on and aren't always there, so we all should know what the signs of drowning look like. Here's a great article that describes four signs of drowning, which coupled with this video really makes you rethink what you thought you knew about people drowning.

Watch it. Share it. And the next time you're near water, remember it.

Have you ever seen a child drowning? Were you able to spot the child drowning in this video?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
MunchiesMom324
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Bump for later
Bmat
by Barb on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I am gasping for breath now. Thank you for the link to the video. It is well worth seeing. That lifeguard was right on the situation. Very chilling.

I went back and watched several times to find out if I could see the child's struggles before the whistle, and it took about 3 times before I could, and this was with knowing where to look.

ceciliam
by Cecilia on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I think most people aren't aware that drowning never looks like you think it will. Great video!

illinoismommy83
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Where was the kid's mom? If your kid is not a strong swimmer then you should be watching your kid anyway.

DD's friend (who is 7) had to be rescued by a lifeguard at the bottom of a water slide. My first question was of course why didn't her mom jump in and grab her? Why would you let your child go down a water slide if the 3 ft of water at the end is going to pose such a problem? 

Same goes for a wave pool. If your kid is not a strong swimmer then you have to get in with them. 

Mom2Just1
by Mom2boys on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:49 PM

I saw it right off the bat.  I am constantly watching my children in the pool.  I took my son swimming and was playing in the kiddy pool and they have a life guard. Well in the kiddy pool they allow floats and he got stuck underwater and float caught him in a way that prevented him from surfacing.  I noticed instantly something was wrong but the life guard just stood there. I jumped across the pool to save him.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

alexis_06
by AnnaLisa on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM

i noticed as well...how scary that must be! cuz really, it does just looks like shes bobbing up and down, having "fun"..glad the lifeguard was on the ball!! :)

Rampgirl04
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:09 AM

BUMP!

Rampgirl04
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:12 AM

Thank you for posting this. I think it's always important for all of us to beaware of drownings around us especially during the summer season. I almost had a scary situation happen to myself in a wave pool along time ago. I still Love to swim and use those wave pools to this day and I know how to swim but when theres that many people in a pool of water with waves getting bigger and bigger anything is bound to happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)